Shroom Fever

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by shroom doom, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ricard76

ricard76 Morel Connoisseur

I have a feeling this is going to be a very quick season. I found a log of my finds in 2003 that showed the 1st find on 4/15 and my last find 4/24. I found about 500 during that period with the 1st couple of days being primarily fairly mature blacks and small esculentas (grey/yellow). The blacks petered out quickly and the yellows and greys continued for @10 days. On my drive to the office this morning I could not believe the tree progression over night. The poplars went from bare to showing their crest of small leaves at the crown of the trees and many of the other trees are showing some green that was not there yesterday. I believe this rain and warm temps will flush most of the blacks at once and the greys and yellows will start popping also. Don't be surprised to find blacks, greys and small yellows this weekend. It's time to get out there!

2. ricard76

Their starting to pop. On Friday morning I found 24 very nice blacks in Jefferson county and another 9 that afternoon in Hart county. Some of the 24 were the biggest fresh black morels that I have ever seen. Some were 5 inches tall and 2 inches across and the stems hadn't gotten large yet. Found another 34 today. All blacks except for 1 tiny 3/4 inch grey. Most were found on ridge tops or near the crest of the ridges.

3. ricard76

Found another 9 blacks on Jefferson county poplar ridge tops on edges of roads and/or clearings/fields. All still very fresh.

4. ricard76

Had a chance to scout a new spot in Jefferson county this afternoon and found 8 very small greys around 3 different ash trees. The picking should be really good following tonight's rain!

5. rheaday

rheaday Morel Enthusiast

I have been looking in Oldham county but have not found any.

6. ricard76

Found another 3 large fresh blacks this morning in Jefferson county and 37 blacks in Hart county, some fresh but many were showing age. Also found 6 very small yellows and greys mixed in with the blacks. Found on east and north facing hickory/poplar woods.

7. shroom doom

shroom doom Morel Enthusiast

ricard76 I also Hunt in Hart and live there. My spot has been destroyed by turkey and deer this year. Would like to get together and hunt in Hart. Would be interested as I have no Mushrooms theis year

8. rheaday

rheaday Morel Enthusiast

Found 3 grays in Oldham County

9. shroom doom

shroom doom Morel Enthusiast

Found 9 in Hart YEEEE HAWWWW

10. ricard76

Congrats shroom doom! It's been tougher finding these small yellows/greys but they are there. Just keep looking. The rain (1 inch forecasted) tonight should really help. A friend and I looked a little between turkey hunts Sat and Sun and found 12 very small whites/greys, 2 half frees and 1 black. My wife & I looked today and in a patch where I had picked a few Sat and Sun and we found 2 old blacks, 3 half frees and 32 yellows and greys(all very fresh). All of these have been in Hart. Sorry but I can't invite you to hunt our farm since it is owned by me and 2 other people.

11. ricard76

Picked 106 nice yellows & 6 halffrees this afternoon in Jefferson county. @ 40 under a maple, another 30 under an ash & sycamore and my wife found a patch of 35-40 big yellows growing at the edge of the woods/field under an ash. New spot that I had never hunted before. What a pleasant surprise!

12. serenitywolf

serenitywolf Morel Enthusiast

my count is up to 94, greys and nice white ones i find them in the same area everytime i go, and i go everyday except when weather is bad, everybody hang in there.

13. ricard76

Found 8 more big yellows under 2 different ash trees and 3 lbs of fresh Dryad's Saddle mushrooms today in Jefferson county. The yellows were double the size of those found yesterday in the same general area.

14. morelseeker

morelseeker Morel Connoisseur

If anyone is interested it looks like it will be an early season In Michigan near Cadillac and ought to be over about May 25th.

15. biog8r

biog8r Young Morel

I've been Popping in on some promising spots in Grant,Owen and Gallatin counties, haven't spotted a single Morel yet,,, Still hoping! The rain and temps are really looking RIGHT. Have found Honey, Dryads and Turkeytails all over.
    Is there anyone else on here hunting this area??