1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

shroomgod is missing

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroomtrooper, Apr 30, 2015.

1. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

what the heck, where is your report. you are the shroomgod in our eyes. How ya doing, I think my vacation will be too early, how is yours going.

2. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I second shroomtrooper's post. Shroomgod please weigh in soon!

3. shroom god

shroom god Morel Connoisseur

Sorry, had to create a few universes in my image, and take a day of rest, ya know. For dedicated shroomers who worship the woods, the karmic hereafter will be replete with endless tracts of large elms in all cyclical phases; the forest floor will host a dense web of mycelium; and tho' it required that I delve deep into my powers I've managed to create a microenvironmental stasis conducive to the perpetual fruiting of morels!

Actually, Monday was good--several hundred grays in Johnson Co. Tuesday was spent in "recovery" from a severe case of ass chafing due to Monday's 5-6 mile forage. Wednesday was spent at the hospital. Thursday I drove south to Wapello and Jefferson Counties and found conditions and shrooms at season's end. Today--northern Washington County was ON. We're at peak or just past here. Very dry. Many shrooms that have unfurled within the past week are struggling to break through the ground and are deformed, including many in moss patches. Some show initial signs of drying. Sunday will likely bring the end to it here except for north slopes and ravines.

Heading to Jones and Jackson Counties tomorrow. SWI, you sure had it made down there. Conditions were best on SW Iowa. Are you following them north? Shroomtrooper, judging from the MN board you need RAIN. Looks like it may come next week. Can you can reschedule that vacation for the following week and head south a bit? Should be awesome along the IA/MN state line in about 10 days don't you think?

Man, I'm cashed from today's deal. That was fun!

4. swi shroomer

SG, sorry to hear you didn't feel good for a spell. Loved your post. Interesting point about the "deformed" shape. I have often wondered about that. And I have never, as far as I recall, ever followed the season north of Omaha. Hoping for one more flush here in my late spots, one of which is going now (lovely 1- and 2-inch whites) on a north slope. I have killed it at this vein for 20 years and I will rue the day it ends. Good to see you posting!

The darker wood beyond lies waiting. Love this time of year!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn Morel Enthusiast

Fellers, i think the rain Sunday-Tuesday is going to allow something pretty special to happen. Found over a hundred grays today that were barely above the ground. And I mean barely. Not dried out at all, either. They are two separate mother loads in the making. It drives me nuts to think about the ones that aren't visible yet. That rain can't get here fast enough. I took lots of pics. If I can figure out how to upload them from my phone, I will.

6. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

Glad you did well shroomgod, whats that hospital thing about? where you sick or someone else? I did cancel my 6th and 7th vacation days no problem there. I am confused my early spots have nothing, but that's shrooming. That universe sounds like a great place with unlimited morels and only the best foragers, I like it. Hopefully rain tomorrow. Keep a spot open for me in that universe.

7. swi shroomer

Catfishjohn, oh how I hope you are right! Definitely late where I have been hunting and finding lots every time out. But I can see where another flush could pop like you suggest.

8. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

Catfish my boy yur on to something, was just south of the IA line today finding fresh 2-3 in shrooms in the hills so I'm thinkin this rain that passed thru today could make for one last chance to hit the MUTHALODE!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck Y'all :wink:

9. catfishjohn

SWI, I can't figure out how to upload the photos I took, but I can email em to you if you want. I'm at deepmuddyriver@yahoo.com. I'd bet my last buck on a pretty killer finish after what I saw today. You natives know a lot more than I do, but I'll be darned if these woods don't seem ready to explode after a good rain.

10. swi shroomer

Catfish, I am somewhat of a Luddite and can't figure out how to post photos either. Btw, I lived in Iowa City from '81-'85 but didn't hunt hard there then because I was busy with school and partying. I will shoot you an email as I would like to see your pics. I have a few I will reciprocate with. Congrats to your gal on the degree. Very nice. Hoping for another pop here in southwest Iowa this week. Some showers have been moving thru this weekend and there are good chances of rain every day all week. Fingers crossed. Not ready for this bit of heaven on earth to end just yet.

11. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Yeah SW, your part of IA, has been the nexus of my morel world for 3 of the last 4 trips. I know you have had a good year based on what I have seen. They are ready north of you if you feel a need. I was a hundred miles or so north of the line yesterday and picked a little over #7. All grays and whites, nothing real big. Just beautiful, tight gilled, Grade A morels. Man I wish I could do this all year.

12. shroom god

BATTLE. Only 60 today but they're fresh, and I definitely paid my dues for them. The scant wetting offered by the teasing clouds that came and went was enough to help some. Alas, I'm sensing the impending central Iowa morel apocalypse of 2015. A few more days will likely spell doom to the delicate fungal structures that have managed to evade us in these parts.

Oh my....FLASHBACK 1973: late season, after a heavy rain, and hot...while walking deep in the woods atop a ridge I found myself amid a veritable mother lode of large yellows. Hundreds, in all directions, but each one crumbled at the mere touch. I imagine such a situation is tantamount to "shroomer hell" if such a thing exists. The torment of this episode was profound enough that it carved a prominent place in my memory, forever.

13. catfishjohn

That sounds awful, shroomgod. Shroomer hell, indeed.

14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

I have visited a version of that hell in C. Kan. SG. Late season, late 80's, gully of elm, carpet of large yellows to thick to step almost, 50 feet wide 200 feet deep ,everywhere. All crumby to the touch. I still drive by that ditch today and shake my head. If only 5 days earlier.

15. shroom god

Even worse, imagine you're looking across a clearing and see those telltale bare branches and twigs touching the sky. The dead elms are calling and you answer, only to find yourself confronted with a 50-foot thick hedge of multiflora rose. The only way to get to the trees is to twist and turn through that hellish thicket until bleeding profusely, whereupon you discover a vast expanse of crumbling yellow morels. Your season ends in the dismal embrace of a thorny jungle while weeping at the sight of what might have been, had you chanced upon the spot a week earlier.

With that ominous thought, I'm heading out again. It is late season here and I am cognizant that I may very well experience the scenario described. This time I'll park my vehicle in a safe place and hike nearly a mile down dirt roads into a well-posted tract of timber where I will knowingly trespass. I may not return.

Cheers!

16. bettendorf

bettendorf Morel Enthusiast

Shroom has quite the way with words.

You should write a book.

17. catfishjohn

I agree. Him and KB. I bet those seasoned vets laugh when we describe a patch of a hundred mushrooms as a "mother lode". Good luck out there, SG! If you see anything like what I saw yesterday, the tease is on. This weird season has longer legs than I thought, though the vegetation is getting rather manly.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

catfish, every year is different, trust me i get just as excited about a 100 pick as I did 30 years ago. some years that is the best you can do. In fact that 156 on Sat. is my best tree this year, so far. There is always hope and dreams. I am not sure if I can always read SG's and understand them. He must have been a Lit. teacher in another life. catfish, where about are you? this weekend may be my last chance, I have to plan carefully.

19. catfishjohn

Kb, I'm in SG's backyard--Iowa City. These rains produced some fresh, prodigious, tight gilled shrooms around here the past couple of days. I pulled almost 300 out of two spots over the past couple of days. There were still tiny grays, fresh as can be, barely breaking the surface. Had to leave for Des Moines last night, but I plan on checking Friday night to see what's up. There were new shrooms both times I went back. The shroompocalypse SG was sensing is very near, but this last push has been amazing.

20. catfishjohn

I've got a bunch of pics from the hunts, too. If you want to email me I can send the pics so you can see what they're doing around here--as of yesterday, at least. deepmuddyriver@yahoo.com