Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yeah SW, your part of IA, has been the nexus of my morel world for 3 of the last 4 trips. I know you have had a good year based on what I have seen. They are ready north of you if you feel a need. I was a hundred miles or so north of the line yesterday and picked a little over #7. All grays and whites, nothing real big. Just beautiful, tight gilled, Grade A morels. Man I wish I could do this all year.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have visited a version of that hell in C. Kan. SG. Late season, late 80's, gully of elm, carpet of large yellows to thick to step almost, 50 feet wide 200 feet deep ,everywhere. All crumby to the touch. I still drive by that ditch today and shake my head. If only 5 days earlier.

·
Registered
946 Posts
catfish, every year is different, trust me i get just as excited about a 100 pick as I did 30 years ago. some years that is the best you can do. In fact that 156 on Sat. is my best tree this year, so far. There is always hope and dreams. I am not sure if I can always read SG's and understand them. He must have been a Lit. teacher in another life. catfish, where about are you? this weekend may be my last chance, I have to plan carefully.

·
Registered
946 Posts
SG, when I was about 10 my brother and I were walking toward one of those giant dead elms you never see anymore. we were within 40 yards and the whole thing fell over. windy days in the timber can be dangerous. No schrooms on the tree anyway

·
Registered
946 Posts
that's why I leave him some every time. didn't need to drop a tree on me. catfish, don't know where i'm going on sat. only have the one day. I will probably drive as fast as i can north a couple hundred and wear my --- out in the river bluffs. My wife keeps reminding me I'm not 50 any more. Who knows if SW has not picked every thing between Omaha and S. Dakota maybe I can scrounge out a few #'s. SG- do you travel north up there? I know there are some great spots down south of you in Mo. You could easily do a 6 week season many years but it requires a lot of butt time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Motherload, you got me thinking about what it means. It's all relative: that big tree on Sat.sure felt like a mother load after all the driving and walking I have done the last month. On the other hand other years it would have been just another good tree. I would say a true motherload is a tree/small spot that kicks out at least double digit poundage. Like" I picked 13 pounds out of a ditch with 3 elm in 30 minutes: mother load. Usually in a motherload situation you are running out of bags and having trouble carrying them all to the car. clothing becomes optional as it converts to morel carrier. I learned my lesson on bags long ago, always carry way more.

·
Registered
946 Posts
madman, yeah i saw one with your name on it and i left it there for you and the family. About 100 miles north of Omaha, giant elm, all speckled, you can't miss it. 5 walmart bags, man, i bet this tree has 7. How many #'s you think a wally bag holds Madman?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Madman, filled to the brim you are probably right. With all the soaked morels in W. Iowa now a bag may weigh double digits. I am going up I 29 tomorrow. Seems to me the best area in Iowa still. Probably start seriously looking once I get about 150 north or things look good. Or I may just drive over 200 north and start working my way back. You know how it goes. I hope I can at least get to double digits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.