Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
501 - 520 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Well i guess im all alone to keep the shroomin aint for wussies alive cmon dawg and kb lets go get some getting close with the next four days of weather at least some little ones
I just gathered and sorted all my shroomin gear this morning. Not to interested in the few and little around here so far, but it won't be long until we can stack some boxes locally. We could use that rain we might get this week just to soak those south slopes.. Looking forward to seeing the pics of the big hauls this year. Maybe I will get my son to show me how to put a pic on this puter. I can find morels but this techie stuff is not my bag. Spots that had mature ones on this date last year are going to be a little later. The elm trees are only on their 2nd year. Dang bugs have killed all the ash in most timbers around here so I will need to walk a little further Hope everyone has full sacks this year. Just remember to check the bottoms for holes so you don't have to Hansel and Gretel it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Went and checked the place I picked my first mature ones around here last year today. Nothing there yet. May apples were popping but not unfurled at all. This spot holds moisture so its not the dry. Soil Temps not there yet. Nothing a little more rain and time won't fix. Dang dead trees are hazard in this kind of wind. Rain is coming. I need it to hit a large area of the 4 states closest to me. Got places that have not seen real rain in a month. I am guessing Dawg is cooling his heels waiting to emerge from his burrow.as the morel season begins.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have another freeze warning in the Northwest part of the state Wednesday night...followed by at least 5 days of chilly weather
Not good on an already slow starting season. I checked my usual spots and a whole bunch of new ones around perfect trees, not even any babies up. I did find one tree producing early though, which was exciting. This damn freeze might mess them up though. Seems like this happens almost every year. There are encouraging signs that we'll be in a very wet and warmer pattern after early next week, so I guess patience is the rule as frustrating as that is

·
Registered
944 Posts
What is your 20 Slippery? In St.Joe? Have not seen any tinies yet. But not looking to hard. Mild freeze will not be a problem after that 86 degree day. Ground is warm. The cold chilly does try the patience but I will take it over hot and short. I was looking at old pictures going back 25 plus years and it seemed the best years were often the ones where I was wearing a jacket all day and it was cloudy. Hope that holds true. Last year I got 4 inches of snow on the 20th..But they had been going for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is your 20 Slippery? In St.Joe? Have not seen any tinies yet. But not looking to hard. Mild freeze will not be a problem after that 86 degree day. Ground is warm. The cold chilly does try the patience but I will take it over hot and short. I was looking at old pictures going back 25 plus years and it seemed the best years were often the ones where I was wearing a jacket all day and it was cloudy. Hope that holds true. Last year I got 4 inches of snow on the 20th..But they had been going for 2 weeks.
Yes I live in the Joe! The picture is from this year, a new tree that actually had morels around it already! Must have been at just the right elevation. Nothing better than hunting on elms. I found a nice motherload last year on one. I know what you mean about the heat being the real killer. I was more just hoping for an AVERAGE temp pattern. Last few years have had awful late April freezes. This year it looks like we'll go from cold to hot unfortunately. Outlook for last week of April is much above normal, which by then could be 80. As long as we can get some rain in the next couple weeks it should eventually be a nice flush. It just takes everything coming together perfectly to have a season longer than 2 weeks..I keep waiting for another 2017!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Posse didn’t get skunked but it was some pretty tuff hunting. I think the Dawg is to embarrassed to get on here and and bark about his slim pickings. We’re going again today on the Mo. River bottoms around KC. Here’s yesterday’s pics!

Attachments

501 - 520 of 558 Posts