Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. candy cap

candy cap Morel Enthusiast

Anyone have any morel reports to share? I'll be heading to the Sierra foothills at the end of the month and will post any findings.

2. skycat

skycat Young Morel

I heard there were morrels on or around Sly Park lake, Above Placerville Ca.
    Can any one confirm that?
    Thx
    Skycat

3. backpackersac

backpackersac Young Morel

I'm new to the area (Sacramento), but I'm interested in morel hunting because I love morels. I may head up the hill this weekend and check it out.

4. petek

petek Morel Enthusiast

Post up what you find. I'm gonna hit the Yosemite burn next month and the Almanor burn in May.

5. backpackersac

backpackersac Young Morel

6. judt

judt Morel Enthusiast

I'm up in the Mt Shasta area and so far no morels but I've been watching the weather and the temps and I think they may be starting to pop down by Redding. Going to hunt this week and will update you all. From past experience, the temps have to be above 60 during the days and above 40 at night for at least 10 days in a row for the little boogers to start growing so if your area is doing that then I would say they are up and running. Happy hunting!

7. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

PeteK, I was up near the Yosemite area (rim fire burn) if you think your going to hunt it THINK AGAIN. The area is closed, and will remain so. Forest service has declared it unsafe for the public until further notice. All roads off rt.120 are posted and delineated, all pull-offs are taped & posted, you can't throw rock w/out hiting one. A $5000.00 fine & 6 mos max for crossing. They are overhauling the area, cutting down all possible dead-falls & widow makers. If you've seen the devastation you would understand ( and make you sick )..... Now, I don't agree w/ our Nanny State of Kalifornias blanket closure, but sure as the world, some idiots will try off-roading in the burn and cause more damage. So you better go with plan "B", maybe they will lift some of the camp ground closures that weren't effected to badly, but not before July 4 I wouldn't expect. Good luck....

8. petek

petek Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up 27 yard. I didn't even think about that because I picked in an 80 thousand acre burn last year and didn't even see one ranger. Might still take a drive up just to look around. I will be going up to the Almanor burn in may though.

9. funguyyyyyyy

funguyyyyyyy Morel Enthusiast

I'm in the Mammoth Lakes area and don't think I'll be able to get to Yosemite before tioa pass opens before I leave. I'm new to CA, jut here for ski season. I'm used to hunting morels along the sandy banks of Missouri River back home in the Midwest. I'm not really sure where to look out here or what are good indicators for morels out here. Any one have any good tips or good areas to look this side of the sierras?

10. petek

petek Morel Enthusiast

Hey FunGuyyyyy. I'd look about 4000 ft. on south facing slopes. I found a bunch last year in a burn area around lake Almanor. They were pretty much everywhere. Here's a link to my Photobucket page from that trip.
    http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/PeterKoleckar/library/Morels%205_3-5_2013?sort=3&page=1

11. funguyyyyyyy

Sweet, thanks pete! Looks like we are supposed to get some snow next week so I doubt I'll be able to make it to Yosemite before I head back home.

12. jiffymac

jiffymac Morel Enthusiast

Found a few in the foothills of Lassen Peak this weekend, between 3000-3500 ft. Pretty small though, just starting. Checking Shasta today and the American Fire area this week. Send word if you see anything!

13. petek

petek Morel Enthusiast

Thanks jiffymac. I'm going to wait a few weeks to hit up the Almanor area. They've been getting rain and snow still, so a few weeks is in order.

14. shepexc

shepexc Morel Enthusiast

We have been gathering all week. The average elevation is about 4800 to 5000 ft elevation in Placer County.

15. jiffymac

No finds in the American Fire area 4600-4800 ft. USFS says it's too early, based on day/night temps... Moisture levels were good though. More rain on the way this week!

16. shepexc

shepexc Morel Enthusiast

Locals have been gathering all week. Stay on the outside "rim" area of the fire. You have to hike above 4800 ft. They are in clusters under burnt doug fir logs and in the wet, north side the the mountains. In 2 hours we gathered over 5 lbs, each.

17. jiffymac

Thanks for the update Shepexc... I was looking too low then, it seems. But in the right area, on the fire boundary near Deadwood.

18. funguyyyyyyy

Going to be camping in Yosemite Valley for the next few days with the lady. Mainly just hiking and checking the area out but I'd like to go morel hunting for a few hours in between. Any tips as to where to check out? Hiking or morel wise? I'll report back with any findings!!! Have a good one everyone

19. birddog38

birddog38 Young Morel

Picked about 5 pounds in the Hat Creek area this week. Small and thin for naturals. Still a little cold at night. hoping for a second flush after this rain......Birddog

20. jiffymac

Picked several pounds along the Hwy 50 corridor today, approx. 4800-5000 ft. A lot of first flush morels that were too far gone to pick, but plenty of second flush, and more on their way!