Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Got skunked for my boletus hunt. Found some very impressive and really delicious cocorra however and a couple of dozen morels however. A good day in the woods.

2. cosumnes

cosumnes Morel Enthusiast

IMG_2530.jpeg I wouldn't hang up my boots quite yet. Found 5 pounds of medium to large blacks in some small prescribed burns in eldorado county. These were at 6200' and were fresh. I think the rain we had last week helped. All were near cedar in habitat that resembles the attached photo. Should get rain on Wednesday so it could go on for awhile. Lots of cocora at 3500' but no boletes yet. Those guys are hard to find! Happy hunting

Attached Files:

Courtney and (deleted member) like this.

3. JimC94

JimC94 Young Morel

I found a few pounds of medium blacks around 6300 feet in disturbed areas near South Lake Tahoe Sunday. The soil is still cool enough, some rain might start more.

4. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Yeah. Lots of rain in the forecast. Should prolong the season by a few weeks anyway. Yippie!

5. defunk

defunk Morel Enthusiast

Went out the Clark Fork, off of Hwy 108, to the McCormick burn on Friday and found a few pounds. There were a few vehicles parked around when I got there so I wasn't too optimistic. But the truth is, morels are all over the place up there. After the initial rush of Morel Fever, I decided not to pick any under 2" tall. Later, I talked with someone who had been going out there for two weeks. He said said two things of interest: First, people have been hauling bushels of morels out of there. Second the recent rain, sleet and hail storms have brought on a new flush. Yesterday, I went back up there with a couple of newbies and scored again. Even though most of the morels we saw were too small to pick (<2" tall) we still managed to get buckets full of big fat blackies.

1 person likes this.
  6. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

My daughter & her boyfriend just got back from a hike into the Trinity Alps (in Trinity County) and found some beautiful fresh large size Morels! (And one nice large Puff Ball!) They found them right along the trail too! A nice ending to a great day hike huh? Happy Shroomin'... A1 Trinity Morels 2018.jpg

1 person likes this.
  7. Grze

Grze Morel Enthusiast

Is that around the Peaceful Pines area? What was the elevation?

8. defunk

defunk Morel Enthusiast

Elevation was 5550-5750 ft. The Clark Fork (of the Stanislaus River) turnoff from Hwy 108 is about 2.5 ENE of Donnel Vista Point. That's about 17-18 miles past the Pinecrest Lake turnoff.

Grze likes this.
  9. Grze

Grze Morel Enthusiast

Thank you for this info! I found some morels in Eldorado at around 6000-6200 so that totally makes sense. I'll try to head out there on Thursday.

10. Lady Chapman

Lady Chapman Young Morel

Hello - I moved to Nevada City last month and would love to go Morel hunting with some people. I don't know this area. In a past life I belonged to the Mycology Society of San Francisco. Does such a group exist here?

11. yosemite shroomer

yosemite shroomer Morel Enthusiast

Found a few fresh blacks in my backyard (5000 ft) Got some rain, but hoped for more. Temps are mild so might not be over. Going back to the burn soon.

12. pacificcoasthiking

pacificcoasthiking Morel Connoisseur

Defunk! Great to meet you, a real honor. And thanks to everyone who mentioned the area out way past Strawberry. It was magnificent. I had the best morel day I have had, which yeah, isn't saying much at this point in my career, but as they say in Lobster diving, "you don't get lobster sitting on the deck!."
    Wow, gonna make a video of this hunt. What a day, and to meet Defunk was a special treat.
    Tanks Morel Mike, for mentioning that site a while back. It is still hot.

13. pacificcoasthiking

I also have a general question.
    I notice several different colors such as a greenish top, some whitish colors, or grey(?), affect the edibility of the mushroom? I now throw out an occasional one that has turned "mushy", but keep anything that is slightly soft but firm. I notice as they dry, some turn colors. I also see some that are "naturally" dried on the vine, and I have taken those, and ate them without anything adverse. Any good information is greatly appreciated. When do you reject any of these?

14. jdaniels313

pacificcoasthiking...in my experience the texture, or "mushyness" is more important than a slight off-color. Now, that being said, there is always a possibility that some bacterial or parasitic invader may be present, but you would be able to tell that it's no good at that point. It would be visually apparent. A slight color variance, (especially since there are actual gray Morels) shouldn't be a worry. I've eaten many such shroomies and have never had a reaction. That's my 2 cents for what its worth. Happy Shroomin'...

PS...if the Morel is flaking and kinda falling apart or excessively mushy, then they are old and I throw those out or better yet, don't even pick them.

1 person likes this.
  15. pacificcoasthiking

Thank you for that information. I notice while drying on a table on newspaper, that they dry pretty well, but then fruit flies will start congregating, and some go bad quick. Seems like even the dry ones will get a grey color. And even ones that were dry on the table, can get mushy overnight. I am going to say that the ones that seem to grey, I will cook. I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from anything like this. Just some people say if it looks like mold, throw it out. But these are so hard to come by that I want to make sure I can eat them.
    The smart money seems to have a dehydrator, or as DeFunk says, get them on strings to dry.

16. JimC94

JimC94 Young Morel

This year I am drying Morels in a 6 layer net herb drying rack. It cost about $25 with shipping. It folds up to a small package but it could hold a lot of mushrooms (I couldn't fill it this year in South Lake Tahoe).

LINDA HANSEN likes this.
  17. LINDA HANSEN

LINDA HANSEN Morel Enthusiast

Heading to Truckee this weekend...any suggestions? It's colder and high alt so thought I give it a shot since South Lake is fading...heard trails by the Grays' Crossing Golf Course are good ...anyone have a tip? :)

18. jdaniels313

I use old silkscreen frames from my shop and cover them with window screen mesh; they stack perfectly on top of each other in a rack and if you put an empty one on top, no flies, etc. can get to them. It also allows them to dry from all sides! You could make some cheap wood frames and try it that way. It works for me! Happy Shroomin...

1 person likes this.
  19. pacificcoasthiking

Thank you J Daniels! Great idea.

20. pacificcoasthiking

For anyone who is interested....the fire area out towards Sonora pass yielded quite a few morels 9 days ago, and then two days ago, a slightly different part of that burn, everything was dry, and picked over real good. We walked a mile in, then hunted. Should have walked two miles on the road to hunt. One worker coming out the gate said they were all over the place where they were working, probably a few miles in.
    It was like someone camped there and hit it hard every day within the mile or so, is this pretty normal? It was awesome 9 days ago, but less so two days ago. It was a great day anyway, but amazing how fast these morels come and go.
    We got a full 8 months of picking chanterelles around here this year. I am learning about morels though. :)

1 person likes this.