Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Hello all. Here they come! I've been at 5000' all week. Nothing yet. I'm guessing late next week they should start popping. Good luck all!

2. Aspen_the_taurus

Aspen_the_taurus Young Morel

Hey all! I’m new to morel hunting, but have been foraging others for a few years now so I’m understanding the basics. I’m out in trinity-Shasta national forest and I’m having no luck finding any morels. The elevation I live at starts at 3000’. So my question is, since the weather has been so warm and we’ve gotten no rain around here in a bit should I head up to 5000’-6000’ to hunt? I’m concerned it’s too hot and dry lower. What do you guys think?

3. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

Aspen; I just returned from the 5k el off of 108. Very cool mornings and snow patches in the shaded and northern exposures. And MM, I’d say 3 weeks up where I scouted today. I started at 5500’ in logged areas and lower. Ran 40 mi on my duel sport, hit ALOT of good looking spots.
    A word of caution...if you run the primitive fire roads, you would be well advised to Carry a chainsaw, and a length of good rope. There are A lot of blow-downs up there crossing secondary fire roads. I bet I jumped a dozen. You can always turn around, but sometimes you’re egress could get blocked...stay safe !

4. MorelMichael

MorelMichael Morel Enthusiast

I would shoot for 3500 at this time. Found some at 3000 the last two weeks.

Aspen_the_taurus likes this.
  5. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

Hey Aspen, look for Sarcodes, commonly known a snow plants. In my experience morels and snow plants share the same elevation. You see those red spikes in the forest, you’re in the zone.

6. Aspen_the_taurus

Thank you! I’ve been keeping an eye out for those, but no luck thus far. Everyone warned me morels are allusive, just under estimated a little I guess. Thanks again for the advice.

1 person likes this.
  7. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

Hahahaha, thanks for the laugh aspen, I can SO relate to that statement

8. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Sarcodes just starting to show at 5k'. Should be on by Wednesday or Tues.

9. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I just got back this afternoon from 3500-4000 ft. on the east side of the valley in the Shasta-Trin. (see photo) and this is all after 2+ hours. I went up to the Burney area also at @ 4500 but nothing was popping there yet. Also, I will post some new maps of the wildfire areas that I have ; it may help 'cause there is a shipload of roads closed in the best parts.(of course) Check back here tomorrow (5/5/19) and I'll have them posted. Good Luck and Happy Shroomin'...

Raymond bartholomew likes this.
  10. jdaniels313

Here are the maps I have showing road & area closures in the Shasta Trinity. These are from the USFS for what they're worth. I think it may be to dry and hot below 3500 ft. at this point but I hope I'm wrong! Also, here's the photo I forgot to send too. Happy Shroomin'... 0504191315.jpg 0504191315.jpg

Attached Files:

11. parshooter

parshooter Morel Enthusiast

Checked out Paradise fire twice this week-just for a short time-nothing. I think I was too low around 2500. Went higher the 2nd time, but got out of the run area-still nothing.

12. parshooter

parshooter Morel Enthusiast

Found a couple small ones and a group of babies at around 4500 yesterday. I left them and will come back in a couple days. old burn pile.

13. Raymond bartholomew

Raymond bartholomew Morel Enthusiast

1C3D2B35-0EB4-4F94-870B-ED96DE0C968F.jpeg 3E64FA46-C818-4B7B-A402-8F608AD58C8E.jpeg 7BBBE627-430B-4538-86C0-0C3CC0B47B1C.jpeg 91BF8E24-4133-40B9-A730-AD2DEA5DA721.jpeg 4EB9C518-26CF-401B-88CF-CE1AC4BAE84E.jpeg Hi all new 2 the form and have been fallowing this thread over the last few days I’ve been up as high as 6,000ft and as low as 3,000 I scored today at a controlled burn at roughly 4,000 feet in Plumas County I live in Quincy I’ve been finding them for about a week conditions are kinda dry but I’ve looked all over and this is the only place produceing at the moment

MorelMichael likes this.
  14. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Howdy..to all Yall Good Folks in California....
    Wade here..im over in Monroe county Indiana ..
    i think i have gotten all of Your Spam cleaned up..
    Please Hit me a Private Measage Conversation anytime if spam begins again...or for any reason..
    Thank You

15. yosemite shroomer

yosemite shroomer Morel Enthusiast

Thank you Wade! Expecting rain soon and temps are just about right. Heading up to 5000 ft next week.

16. Raymond bartholomew

Raymond bartholomew Morel Enthusiast

Hi everyone well yesterday was good 2 me also, went cut a load of wood and found a nice flush, I prepared the last 2 batches for dehydration this morning and noticed that the rather large morel I found is kind of dark inside along with the other that grew beside it kind of purple compared 2 all the smaller ones I’ve picked they all seem 2 be very white is this cause for concern I’m very new 2 morel hunting this is my first year I’ve attached some photos any input would be much appreciated

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  17. defunk

defunk Morel Enthusiast

There are several species of morels and there are shape and color variations even within one species depending on age of specimen, habitat, etc.

18. Aspen_the_taurus

Thanks for the maps and insight into our area. I figured it was to dry and have been hunting up higher, BUT STILL NO LUCK. It looks like it might rain a bit the beginning of next week so I’ll hit whatever wildfire areas I can after that. You guys all rock. I really appreciate the help.

1 person likes this.
  19. jdaniels313

There looks to be a couple different morel species together there in the photo. (yellows and blacks) But they look GREAT as far as I can see. What you're perceiving as discolored is just a variation of color (as 'defunk' stated) within the species. They look yummy to me! Good score and cool photos! BTW have you been up in the Lake Almanor area recently? I heard they still had some snow in the shade under some of the trees about a week ago. That's about 5000'.

20. jdaniels313

You're welcome! Good Luck! I've heard some rumors trickling out of the Carr/Hirz areas that I'm trying to verify, but you know how some Shroomers are: they guard their patches AND info. well! I'll post if I find out more info. Happy Shroomin'....