Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Raymond bartholomew

Raymond bartholomew Young Morel

Hi I was there about 2 weeks ago fishing and there was a fair bit of snow, thank u for the input on the morels I had kinda figured I’m just very new 2 the fungi world

1 person likes this.
  2. Raymond bartholomew

Raymond bartholomew Young Morel

Thank u defunk

3. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

No problem. Welcome to the club! BTW, that's a real nice bass you're holdin'! (My other favorite hobby is fishing!) I'm doing a recon trip tomorrow and I'll check back in when I get back on Sunday and let you know if I 'got lucky'! Happy Shroomin'.....

4. jdaniels313

(Thanks again Wade; the CA forum looks good again!).... Jay

1 person likes this.
  5. jdaniels313

I just found out about these permits. The Shasta Lake District never had them until now; I traveled all through the Carr Fire area yesterday and hiked all over. We saw nothing from 2000 to 5000 ft. except at Clear Creek Campground which is @ 3600 ft. Even there we only found 6 Morels. There are rumors coming out of that area of good picking but I wasn't able to find it! Good Luck out there. Happy Shroomin'... USFS News Release.jpg

1 person likes this.
  6. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Found a few blondes at 4630' yesterday. I would post pics but apparently its far to difficult for this old man to figure out. Happy Hunting!

7. MorelMichael

MorelMichael Morel Enthusiast

Howdy everyone, I just came up to Mc Cloud/Shasta area for a week of camping and mushrooming. Kind of weird, Mc Cloud, at 3600 ft is bone with no evidence of mushrooms. Well, that's after a day of looking... And then my usual Morel spot at 4600 ft still has patches of snow. Anyone getting lucky up in this area?

8. MorelMichael

MorelMichael Morel Enthusiast

Hi Jdaniels, I'm planning on going to the Hertz/Delta Fire area. I know you've been checking it out. Any recommendations for areas/elevations for this week? Also do you know if it's too early for Spring boletes? Trying to find mushrooms is a wild ride ;) Thanks

9. jdaniels313

I've seen no boletes yet but I'm headed to Lassen County tomorrow to check on Morels and will keep an eye out. My best luck so far has been between 3500-4100 ft. And at that higher elevation it looked to me like they were just starting about 4-5 days ago, so I think those elevations would be where I would (and will) start. It's been a weird season so far.
    FYI...it looks like they are calling for rain AND snow for the next 13 days starting Wed. May 15th. It's hard to believe but it looks like Sunday through Wed, is calling for a mix of both rain & snow in the mountains around the valley. That's according to weather.com, but I would at least pack accordingly! I will post when I return tomorrow night. Good Luck Mike.....Happy Shroomin'

10. jdaniels313

PS....they usually find some real nice Boletes by the McCloud Mushroom Festival which, this year, is on the 25th and 26th. So hopefully it won't be long!

11. jdaniels313

MorelMike....check your profile page for conversations.......

12. pacificcoasthiking

pacificcoasthiking Morel Connoisseur

Spent another burn out day traveling up to about 5500 ft on 108, similar time as last year. New burn there on clark fork, keeping Everyone Out. Tickets will be written, I was told. No date on logging work finish. Walked around at that elevation for a while, and nothing, no early birds. It started raining and we drove another 6 hours back home. Maybe the rain on the coast might bring a small final chanterelle flush :)
    Anything on 120? Stumpy? lol, anywhere within 6 hours?

13. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

Hey PCH, sorry to hear about your lack of success, but not really surprised. It would seem we’re going to have a late season this year. I was at 5,000’+ Friday off 108 for the same results.
    The wife and I are going to Yosemite Tuesday for a day trip, planning on hitting a few of my spots off 120 and lunch or dinner at the Rush Creek Lodge. I’m not expecting much until June with the weather the way it is. I’ll post my findings either way. My wife doesn’t like mushrooms so her attention span is about >—-< that long.…

14. pacificcoasthiking

pacificcoasthiking Morel Connoisseur

Hey 27yard, thanks for the note. People are finding some under 5000 ft, south exposure of course. I would love to hear your feed back on 120. I do have a place I heard of at 4400 ft ish east of merced on the edge of that fire area. If you want, I can give you the drop pin for it. We went up there a full week and a couple days ago, and there were quite a few people up there for general recreation and I got out and walked around for a while but got nothing. I think when we were there it was at the end of the first early flush. The rain for the last week may have brought more out on south slopes there. Anyway, would love to hear your report.

15. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Young Morel

Hey PCH, thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm an avid mushroom hunter, first time posting on this forum. Planning to search some spots within the Furguson Fire zone outside of Fish Camp either next weekend or the one after. What are your thoughts about the situation up there?

16. yosemite shroomer

yosemite shroomer Morel Enthusiast

Lots of rain! Temps too cold at 5000 ft so waiting. No longer live in the mountains, but have a friend I can call for info on the morels. Will drive up there if it sounds good. I'm in Merced... anyone willing to give me a ride up near yosemite on hwy 41 (I know all the hot spots)

17. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Howdy Yall.... Wade here...
    i went hunting in Michigan and didn't have antenna...but im back now..working to remove the spam..
    Thank You

18. jdaniels313

You must be a psychic! I was just going to contact you about CA forum again. More than 20 pages of spam hit it today. What a mess! Wade, is there anything we can do to help?

19. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

just Stay Positive, Love one another, and Kick the Trolling Bad Guys Asses when they show themselves.
    Thank You

20. jdaniels313