Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Morel Enthusiast

@yosemite shroomer, yea it looks wet as heck up there this week! I'm gonna wait a few weeks, aiming to head up weekend of June 8. Normally I'd say that's late, but with the weather the way it is...who knows! If nothing else it will be a nice walk in the woods

2. pacificcoasthiking

pacificcoasthiking Morel Connoisseur

We are planning to run up to check morels in about a week, or when the rain/snow stops, at under 5000 ft. Just came back from our second burn out run up to 108. Didn't try on 120. Zero for us. We go through Merced every time we go to hunt. Do you ever hunt chanterelles? I know the hot spots around here. (San Luis Obispo county). This is my third year trying to figure out Morels, and am at their mercy for sure. Seems like the morels are about 3 weeks late around this years weather. Awesome that you know spots on highway 41!

3. pacificcoasthiking

I am a real rookie amigo. But the top tier people are saying it is still early because of the cold and snow etc. I think if you get up there around fish camp in under 5000 ft in a good place you should find some. I heard of people getting some morels around 4400 ft a few weeks ago, drying up, but since then there has been a full week of rain/snow/sleet so something should be happening! Appreciate any report you might have.

4. pacificcoasthiking

You are awesome Wade! The spam is unreal. Thank you thank you thank you!

1 person likes this.
  5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Morel Enthusiast

I've booked my trip, heading up June 8 and 9. Have some spots in mind between 4000 and 5500 ft, both south and north facing. Will definitely post my report.

6. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I hate to even say this but....those spam jerks hit us again in CA. I didn't mean for this to become your full-time job Wade. (just sayin') Maybe if you get a chance, take a look again please. Thanks so much....

1 person likes this.
  7. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

yep..
    Thank You

MorelRider likes this.
  8. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

Nothing there...

9. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

Hey everyone; returned Wednesday night from Yosemite NP. (under 2 hrs from me) 6” of snow on the 120 pass @ 6200’. Stopped at a few of my spots in route and found nothing but a few snow plants. It’s been a few years since we’ve visited the park and with the wet weather lately it was spectacular. Reaching Yosemite Valley it RE-occurred to me why I so seldom visit. It’s such a shock to the senses, it seems like one minute you’re quietly walking through the forest and the next you’re playing chicken for a parking spot in Central Park. I’ll be going up again in a few weeks when the weather & ground warms up. By the way, I stopped at the Groveland ranger station to get my annual fire permit. I asked Mary, (the retired gal at the desk) what the rule was for mushrooms in the park, she said “ you can pick a handful each but you have to eat them there, like on a salad, you can’t take them out.” I swear I could barely keep from laughing....Enjoy your time in the forest, and good luck...Dan

1 person likes this.
  10. jdaniels313

Sorry about that; I meant MorelMichael.....

11. jdaniels313

That is a great story! I myself couldn't keep from laughing! Thanks for the humor 27yard, you made my day!

1 person likes this.
  12. jdaniels313

Well, I'm headed to Mt. Shasta and then to McCloud for the Mushroom Festival on Sat./Sun.; I've been doing a "no rain" dance for a couple days, but it looks like the mushroom gods may not smile down on us. (I'm takin' my rain gear!) I will post when I return. Happy Shroomin'....

13. Raymond bartholomew

Raymond bartholomew Morel Enthusiast

Hi all I’m sorry that the hunting has been hard on u guys, I took a week or so break from working slash hunting and decided that yesterday and today I would go cut some wood and hunt around, I found a mess of them in about an hour each trip also lots are over ripe I’m hoping more will pop up with all this rain I’ve got a few others spots 2 check out that seemed 2 be way 2 dry last week, I seem 2 have the best luck around 3800-4000ft and I’m in control burns from last spring

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  14. 27yard

27yard Morel Enthusiast

NICE Rb; that looks like the amount I tend to find. I’ve never hit the motherload in terms of +pounds, just enough to keep me going back. To be honest, sometimes it’s not the mushrooms l’m looking for I think.

MorelMichael likes this.
  15. morelmike

morelmike Morel Enthusiast

5000' yesterday on the 108. Super soggy. More rain tomorrow. 80s next week so maybe by the weekend?
    Happy Hunting!

16. wade

i tryd Hunting for 2 hrs near Hoffman Estates Illinois Yesterday..
    but found Zero....
    really weird woods.. 20190524_131927.jpg i just dont know if i was late or early or i think Morels are just not in this woods..

17. dsklos

dsklos Young Morel

Anyone ever have luck in the WhiskeyTown area? I’m at 4K feet but darned if I can find a single one. Folks I was with are having luck in the Eagle Lake area, kicking myself for leaving...

18. wade

Howdy Yall..Wade here.. im working on the damm spam..everyday
    keep Hunting and Happy

19. jdaniels313

Hey dsklos...I put about a 100 miles recon trip just north of there; we started near French Gulch and went all through the Carr Fire area, over the top to Trinity Center, and back down to Buckhorn Summit. It took ALL day and we only found 6 morels; that was at Clear Creek Campground north of French Gulch at about 3400 ft. Now this weekend at the Mushroom Festival in McCloud I talked to a gal that said they were getting pretty good amounts now, but only on the slopes of deep ravines within the fire area. We were out there about 2 weeks ago or so, but it sounded like maybe they were just late in starting up and it may be worth a look-see if you have the time. Anyway, for what it's worth...Good Luck!

20. jdaniels313

Hey Raymond...what county were you in? Also, any word about the Chester area? We actually got about an inch of snow Saturday night up in McCloud! I hiked a bunch of area too up there but found no Boletes or Morels after almost 6 hrs. I did see a bag of fresh Boletes at the Mushroom Festival a guy had though; One of them musta weighed 4 lbs! I was too burned out after working the festival all day on Sat. and came home to rest a bit, but I think they will pop up there if the temp warms up a bit. Anyway, thanks for your posts and more good luck to ya!.......Happy Shroomin'