Sierra Nevada Morels

Discussion in 'California' started by candy cap, Apr 12, 2013.

1. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I was able to call the McCloud Ranger District up here in far No. Calif. and send them a copy of my DL and they sent me the permit which I signed and emailed back, making it valid. I had the same problem as you and couldn't drive the 85 mile round trip to make it during their business hours. I had to 'sweet talk' them a little but I explained my dilemma and it worked out in the end. You might give it a try! Good Luck.... (also the personal use ones were free!)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  2. jdaniels313

What they're telling me is 5000 ft. I don't think it's too late yet. I was at Mt. Lassen area a few days ago and there were still fresh ones popping. Not in large quantities, but good firm ones. I was at 5100 ft. there. Good Luck!....Happy Shroomin'

3. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Morel Enthusiast

Hi Folks, spent all weekend up near Yosemite foraging the Ferguson Fire area. 6000ft, north facing slopes, soft burn (still with needles on the ground). Struck out on my first few spots, finally hit big Sunday. mmexport1560262923192.jpg mmexport1560126966829.jpg mmexport1560262923192.jpg mmexport1560126966829.jpg

4. Mo Rel

Mo Rel Young Morel

Wow nice haul...good to see they're still out! We're headed to the valley next Monday. Any suggestions? We've never hunted in the Yosemite area. If a permit is required where do you pick it up?
    Thanks!

5. jdaniels313

Just got back from Lassen and Plumas Co. in Northern Calif. Checked all over from Lake Almanor to the south entrance to Lassen National Park at 4800 to 5800 elevation and came up empty handed I'm afraid to say. A lot of driving and hiking but no Morels or Boletes. I hope there's more out there but I have a feeling my morel season is at an end. I'm keeping a positive attitude and am trying to find somewhere to go above 5500 ft. this weekend. I'll keep posting....Happy Shroomin'....

6. nagaviper

nagaviper Morel Enthusiast

Stay Positive for sure! I'm heading up next weekend to my usual spots in el dorado/stanislaus forest, I was there memorial day weekend, I saw lots of small, light colored morels just starting to fruit and absolutely no sign of boletes. There were violet crown cups and a few random ramaria rasilispora so I'm taking a guess the spring kings were a few weeks away. I'm convinced we are having an extremely late season. Most of the hillsides were covered in snow and lots of moisture everywhere, rivers were raging and the cold air was cutting through my shirt (good sign you are too early). I'll report back after the weekend of the 22nd and let you know my opinion of the season being over or not. :) Good luck out there guys!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. dsklos

dsklos Young Morel

Heading to Stone Fire area outside Canby, somewhere between 4500 and 5500. Found two naturals and nothing in the burns 3 weekends ago, hoping the didn’t all pop and die in the past few weeks. Will report and with more specific elevation.

8. jdaniels313

9. dsklos

dsklos Young Morel

Adam, thanks a ton for the 'shroom advice. After getting skunked way up in Canby by Oregon, I saw your post and made the 6 hour drive down to Yosemite, found a place with northern-facing slopes at 6k feet in a soft burn, and found a good bunch! I don't think quite as many as yours, and I think I was on the tail-end of good timing (I also was told this week a whole bunch of people went through where I was), so I'm SUPER happy with my find. Don't have a nice table to spread them out on, but still blew away my previous record of two ;-)

If you're ever in the Berkeley or SF area, I'd love to buy you a beer as thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    2 people like this.
  10. jdaniels313

Awesome batch of shrooms! That's a great score; a nice way to end (hopefully not!) the season. I'd buy him a couple beers!.....great story!

dsklos likes this.
  11. jdaniels313

BTW, who ever heard of a Russian named Andymed anyway....? Andyspam would be better! (I'm referring to HOME page spam!)

12. nagaviper

Hello All, Heading up to the spot this weekend(6/21/19), anyone finding Spring Kings? I'm hoping the morels are still good and not over ripe. Like I said, I was up there a month back and they were just starting to pin up(about the size of a dime), and no signs of Boletes even pushing the soil. Weather was super cold and it snowed memorial weekend. I believe this upcoming weekend is going to be going off, I'm a little worried seeing the temperatures spike to almost 90 at 5K elevation, but the valleys are pretty protected by some old growth so hopefully kept the fruiting areas cool. This will be my last chance! I'll report back on Sunday or Monday to give everyone an idea on the season. Glad to see dsklos finally found some after being skunked! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

dsklos likes this.
  13. nagaviper

Here are some pics from last time to get everyone pumped up!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  14. nagaviper

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Who has Been in the woods, this week ?

16. jdaniels313

Good luck nagaviper...keep us updated. I'm heading out this weekend. The temperature dropped (very unusual) from triple digits to 88 degrees and I wanna take advantage of it. I'll post on Monday. Happy Shroomin'....

17. jdaniels313

BTW, my daughter and I found this about this time of year Lassen Shroom.jpg two seasons ago. It's the biggest damn mushroom I ever found! I spotted it on a stump while driving past the Lassen National Park south entrance. (We call that speed shrooming! lol)