Sioux City Area

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by oldlords, May 9, 2013.

1. oldlords

oldlords Morel Enthusiast

Any one finding them yet around the Sioux city area or near by?

2. foxdie

foxdie Young Morel

I'm in Cherokee and I went out looking for a bit 2 days ago and found nothing. Somebody in Woodbury county on here found a bunch a couple days ago. I have NO luck :p I have been teaching myself to recognize Elm trees but I don't see a whole lot around where I'm at. Let us know if you have any luck!

3. tman

tman Young Morel

Went out around Onawa last night and found none. Anybody?

4. cslabm1322

cslabm1322 Young Morel

We have uncleaned mushrooms 8 lbs left 25.00/lb if anyone interested

5. nelly

nelly Young Morel

We found a BUNCH in the Sgt Bluff area. Get after it.

6. tomjamie

tomjamie Young Morel

Been looking on Big Sioux North of Sioux City 2 days in a row and haven't found any yet. Hope today is the day! :)

7. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

Nothing in Okoboji area yet, talked to a guy who did well in sioux city area 5 days ago. hope that hot blast of air the other day didn't ruin things, pray for rain

8. oldlords

Me and my dad found right around 60lbs in the Sioux city area today. They were all blondes and most of them nice size.
    They are starting to dry out ,but still fresh enough to pick. We got caught in a huge rain, could hardly see, thunder and lighting was all around us but we made it out alive.

So any one around this area better get out and find them cause they are drying out.

9. young_oakz

young_oakz Morel Enthusiast

do you think Albert Lea is within range of having morels up and ready then if theyre starting to dry up down there?

10. tomjamie

tomjamie Young Morel

Nice find Oldlords! I'm going out looking AGAIN up here. We're about 25-30 miles north of ya. Hopefully I find some today!

11. onawa88

onawa88 Morel Enthusiast

Finding a bunch south of Sioux City along the river. Picked about 50 pounds worth yesterday and this morning. Will sell for $15 a pound if anyone is interested, or $10 a pound if you buy 10+ pounds

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

oldlords, In the bottoms or hills? I hate to ask but I am not as young as I used to be and can handle the bottoms but the hills kill my knees. Any help is appreciated. Just love to pick big morels like in your picture.

13. oldlords

hello kb : )

All of these morels were found in the bottoms. All in all just under 60 pounds.

Here's one more picture of some of the morels getting ready to be cleaned.

[​IMG]

14. oldlords

@ young_oakz

I can't say for sure ,but I always have gone with the lilac's, and it has always been faithful for me including this year. I don't mean in full open bloom. I mean just when you see a few buds start to open into flowers. Good luck hope you find lots

:)

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Lordy oldlords those are some nice ones. I live clear down in Mo, so you can see my problem,long ways up to that area.. Does this seem a normal year to you or is this a special flush this year? Down in Kansas there were incredible amounts of morels on the cottons, way beyond normal. Thanks for the info. if I make it up that way and do even one of those tubs full it would be great.

16. oldlords

This is just my opinion, I hunted for many years. I would say above average for around here. but you know there's some that will find few or none : ( and say this year was crap.

17. oldlords

kb,

Have you been able to find any in your area?

18. scmorelhunter

scmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me when the season begins here in Sioux City and when exactly or normally it ends. I'm just getting into this and am definitely a rookie. My buddy who took me out he other day is saying the season here is over. Any of you think it's worth heading out again? Or should I call it quits for the year???

19. oldlords

Found these today May 20 2014

Check out the main Iowa message board for more pictures of today's finds .I think it's close to over ,but in the right spots they are still up.

[​IMG]