Sioux City Area

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by oldlords, May 9, 2013.

1. oldlords

oldlords Morel Enthusiast

Sorry about the date, I came down with morel fever and forgot what year it was.

May 20th 2013

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

oldlords, My spots in N. MO. were poor to average at best. Kansas spots were incredible south of I-70. I just like to pick morels and visit new places. Looks like the tail end in the bottoms up your way. Is any one finding any in the hills? I have had many great hunts in past years in the hills of W. Iowa.

3. oldlords

Hell with the hills. I was on hands and knees, to many to stand and walk to pick. I found so many morels this year my gf has no use for me.

4. tman

tman Young Morel

oldlords. I hunt Sioux City as well, I just don't know how you find so many, year in and year out? Part of it has to be a time thing? Are you retired? You found that load above on Monday? Wow. Impressive. So it is worth still going out? Thanks.

5. warchief

warchief Morel Enthusiast

Got 10 pounds last two days
    I'm in the SC area. They're still going strong

6. tman

tman Young Morel

Where in Sioux City? General location is fine. :wink:

7. oldlords

There really is no set time, it's just like anywhere when the right conditions are met. They have been found in years past as early as late March into April. With a normal year, with a normal spring, I start hunting around mothers day. I also follow the lilac bush rule. When the first bubs start to open into flowers. When soil temps are in the 50s and temperatures are at least 50 or very close overnight are good rules of thumb to go by, they have worked for me this year and in the past.

I'm not retired ,these were all found in two different days going to good spots. We left about 10:00 am and were heading home around 4:30 pm. We did not spend weeks looking for them or anything, just two days I had off in good locations.

8. funguyyyyyyy

funguyyyyyyy Morel Enthusiast

Oldlords, what's your cleaning method? Seems like you would have plenty of experience just from leaning those two batches from last year!

9. funguyyyyyyy

funguyyyyyyy Morel Enthusiast

Nevermind, saw your other post. My problem is always getting all the dang sand off of them.

10. warchief

Checked around Friday 18th, Saturday 19th and Monday 21st.,in various spots and came home empty handed :(

11. scmorelhunter

scmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

I checked yesturday in a couple different spots and also came home empty. Ground was waay waay too dry. The rain today will help, but it should dump buckets tonight - hopefully we'll be picking friday. The only problem is it is giong to get cold again this weekend through beginning of next week. We might have to wait until end of next week before getting anything really going.

12. rj

rj Morel Enthusiast

SCmorelhunter thanks for the word on the conditions it is appreciated,Please keep us updated on them as the days pass.I do love hunting along the MO.river bluff Loess Hills and her bountiful bottoms, some of the best hunting and hiking there is in my book. I'm from NW MO. And what I've found in our area is still to small to pick.The forecast is for rain here and another shot of it should make the entire NW MO. area very good this year.

13. scmorelhunter

I checked Saturday evening a couple spots and saw nothing. We need rain very badly. We got a little this afternoon but really need some good storms tonight. Here's hoping we get the moisture. Anyway it's gonna get cold until the end of the week. I still think this area is another week out now. This keeps dragging on like this I'm afraid it's gonna be a real bad year maybe only a week or so long.

14. radioradio

radioradio Young Morel

Hello all - I work at the public radio station in SC (KWIT), and I was hoping to make a feature about morel hunting. Would anybody here be interested in participating? You can contact me at Mark Munger. Thanks! And happy hunting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  15. morel mafia

morel mafia Morel Enthusiast

Wanting to buy any and all morels if you're looking to make some good money call me 580 606 0253

16. scmorelhunter

What are paying mafia? I'm a picker looking to be a seller. I'll let you know when I find some I'm outta sioux city of course for pickup.

17. morelmorales

morelmorales Morel Enthusiast

HEY ONAWA88 - Give me a call , ask for Phillip...cell 402-206-4247 / L.L. # 1 402-733-2086 / L.L. # 2 402-905-2093. I'd like at least 3# ok....or $45.BUCKS WORTH OK ?

18. warchief

Another weekend gone unsuccessful in the hunt, seen some local listings on craigslist and thought they would be out, Not at all. I'm not sure where these craigslist sellers are getting their stuff but I can guarantee its not from around here: As of Sunday May 4th, 2014

19. moreldeep76

moreldeep76 Young Morel

I agree with you Mushroomchief, I have been out 5 or 6 times in the last couple of weeks and have found nothing. I have hunted in woodbury and in plymouth counties in the siouxland area. I have also seen people claiming to have found them in woodbury sioux city area and they have only been finding just a handful of small greys is all. Hopefully it won't be much longer, I am hungry! :)

20. tickcollector

tickcollector Morel Enthusiast

I hope that those wal-mart bags from May 16th weren't what you harvested with!!?? Spread the spores around when you walk through the woods! Leave at least 2 standing if you can to let them run their course naturally. Spread the word and the spores