Sioux City Area

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by oldlords, May 9, 2013.

1. warchief

warchief Morel Enthusiast

Anyone find something other than ticks lately? feel like its still to dry...

2. scmorelhunter

scmorelhunter Morel Enthusiast

Still dry. Need a good long 60 to 75 degree rain. Until we get a proper soaking we all will be spending all day looking to find two mushrooms.

3. morel mafia

morel mafia Morel Enthusiast

Sc morel hunter let me know when they are on and ill give you the market price at that time thanks for the interest

4. bork55

bork55 Young Morel

They have been popping by the river in sandy, heavy sun areas for bout 2 weeks now. Deep wood areas should be really soo n

5. chrigs

chrigs Morel Enthusiast

been watching the SC format everyday now as I live 1-1/2 hrs, north. wer'e a week or 2 behind you. I'm very surprised at not hereing of more finds down there. I'm thinking you guys should on them right now. Please report findings. Thanks and good luck.

6. oldlords

oldlords Morel Enthusiast

I found a little over a pound today in the Sioux city area. In an area with a lot of direct sun. Most all of them were small, and still greys, with a few larger blondes (I think the recent rain made them pop). The forecast is not looking good, we need heat. I'm thinking people around here should start looking hard this Sunday or Monday, when the temps are going to be higher. The rain was great, now we need the heat!! Good luck everyone!!

7. oldlords

oldlords Morel Enthusiast

Wanted to add, these were not sand mushrooms, all these were forest found.

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW, sounds like you have had some fun. It is sad to go to spots that used to be so reliable, only to find the habitat has changed over the years and the elms are not to be found. Particularly when you have been hunting 40 plus years. On the other hand I go to places that I used to avoid because they are better now. I guess that is why some folks only hunt bottoms. If they are there, they are there. In the hills its much tougher to keep good spots.

9. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

I hear ya on the habitat, KB. The place I found them last night used to (10 to 20 years ago) put up hundreds a year -- early, middle and late season. And then it wasn't so good so I quit looking there as hard for awhile and then I went back last year or the year before just for the hell of it and it seemed like it was starting to come back, though not as good as the good old days but still worth the time. Weird. I've always thought this place, and the manner and shape of the spots in which they grew, resembled a vein-like system. Just the feeling this area has always given me. I'm always wondering where the end of the vein is, and always hoping it runs a long ways, and it did last night. I couldn't gewt out tonight but need to soon before it's all over. Bittersweet this time of year as it winds down in my spot. Hope the hills can hum with mystery a little longer yet...

10. raveen

raveen Young Morel

Found about 3 dozen small to medium greys, in the woods by the Missouri this afternoon.

11. warchief

warchief Morel Enthusiast

Very sad to say this but season is over. Did not get what I expected out of this season :cry: