Smart Phone Apps to track your morel finds

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by shroomboomblio, May 4, 2013.

1. shroomboomblio

shroomboomblio Morel Enthusiast

Has anyone come across any good smartphone apps to track this years morel finds?

They do have a couple mushroom specific tracking and identification apps out there, but the ones I have seen are all garbage and worthless.

What I found last year was that jogging or running type apps had much better features and functionality for tracking distance, putting in waypoints, being able to put in a few quick notes and actually plotting GPS coordinates. The really nice thing about most of the running apps is they are they are also downloadable onto a computer for further review and being able to go back and check positive condition and result spots in following years.

The one drawback to using smart phone apps to track finds or conditions is in some of the remote areas or steeper hillsides you can lose connectivity.

Mioticmush, this also seems to fall into some of the same areas and information you were looking for to collect and compile. Let us know exactly what type of information you were looking for and maybe we can help provide some data for you without giving away our hotspots.

2. gohawks51

gohawks51 Young Morel

I simply save the gps location in my google maps and it saves to my we card. That's transfers from phone to phone.

3. zippyhippywa

zippyhippywa Young Morel

I was searching for a good app when I came across this forum tonight, and, while I didn't find what I was looking for here, I thought some might be interested to know about an app I found elsewhere. I think I found one that most mushroom hunters can really appreciate. It doesn't have any identification for mushrooms, but its great for keeping track of where you've been and locations on that route that you need to save by adding waypoints, photos, and audio. It can be used for Android, Blackberry or iOS devices not sure about Windows devices though. The app is called Trimble Outdoors. They have a light version for free and a pro version that is $4.99. I have only tried the free version (which is pretty awesome for being free) but I think as soon as I have the money I'm for sure going to upgrade to Pro.

4. abegail

abegail Young Morel

Thanks to these technology, mobile phones even help us to several things makes easier than we thought. The use of tracking is valuable, there are ways that we can be useful to this system. In fact one of the best app I am using to pre-order my business needs is right on my pocket. From this site http://www.kekacase.com/home-decor/keka-travel.html, all my decor products are directly sent to clients.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017