Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be looking for morels in the upstate sc area. Does anyone wear snake gaiters or other leg protection from copperheads?
Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s a good question. This is new to me. I’m in The Chester county area, but researching where to go. Sounds like upstate SC is preferred? What parts?

Hadn’t thought about snake gaiters until you mentioned it. Maybe that’s a good idea? I was thinking my 9mm with shotshells.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s a good question. This is new to me. I’m in The Chester county area, but researching where to go. Sounds like upstate SC is preferred? What parts?

Hadn’t thought about snake gaiters until you mentioned it. Maybe that’s a good idea? I was thinking my 9mm with shotshells.
I am going to look at a friends property near Woodruff. Not sure if I'll find any Morels. He has some land located on the Tyger river so I'm sure there are copperheads this time of year. I work outside Spartanburg and we find them inside the plant from time to time. I went ahead bought a pair of snake gaiters from Amazon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have never had an issue with snakes while hunting morels. I generally where chaco sandals and hunt for morels in any environment that produces morels. I can totally see the benefit of using gators while hunting. Happy hunting!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never had an issue with snakes while hunting morels. I generally where chaco sandals and hunt for morels in any environment that produces morels. I can totally see the benefit of using gators while hunting. Happy hunting!!!
Thanks for the reply. I'll post if I see any.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I hunt in NE Ohio and we have copperheads up here. But the only evidence of snakes I've seen is grass or weeds moving because of a snake rapidly wriggling away from me! I'm not a person with phobia about snakes, and see no reason to kill them on sight. They cannot behave in any other way than the way in which God, or Nature, designed them. It that creeps you out, the problem belongs with you, not them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm going to be looking for morels in the upstate sc area. Does anyone wear snake gaiters or other leg protection from copperheads?
Thanks,
Bob
I have never worn anything for snake protection while mushroom foraging. I've hunted in northern and southern forests in the US and have rarely even seen a snake while mushrooming. Fishing....different story, snakes all over. But I don't wear snake protection when I'm fishing either, so to each their own.

If it makes you feel safer wearing snake protection, then wear it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think it would be very rare to even see a copperhead while morel hunting. Possilby one sunning in the oepn. Even if one was there the best way to spot morels is to go very slowly and . any snake should be able to be easily seen in the usually fairly open morel habitat. I've nunted morels over 30 years from SC to PA with no copperhead sightings. I have seen one blacksnake. I do very occasionaly see a rattler or copperhead in the summer months when hunting Chanterelles. In 22 years in SC I can count how many on one hand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it would be very rare to even see a copperhead while morel hunting. Possilby one sunning in the oepn. Even if one was there the best way to spot morels is to go very slowly and . any snake should be able to be easily seen in the usually fairly open morel habitat. I've nunted morels over 30 years from SC to PA with no copperhead sightings. I have seen one blacksnake. I do very occasionaly see a rattler or copperhead in the summer months when hunting Chanterelles. In 22 years in SC I can count how many on one hand.
Thank you very much for the good informative reply

1 - 10 of 10 Posts