1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

SoDak Morels 2016

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by butchbob, Jan 9, 2016.

1. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Ended 2015 almost nine inches above average for moisture. Plus two feet of snow now in the Black Hills w/more to come. Dehydrated morels will carry us over until the first fresh morels in about 120 days.

2. ozone21

ozone21 Morel Enthusiast

It's time! Found around 30 blacks on a quick trip today. :)

3. butchbob

Congrats Neal! You consistently are one of the first if not the first in the state to find morels. Good rain/snow next week should help their buddies pop!

4. aspens4morels

aspens4morels Morel Enthusiast

First trip out to the higher elevations this year. No luck. Maybe next week. :)

5. butchbob

Found 4 dozen small black morels over past two days, but we had to visit over a dozen patches. Productive spots were where we did well on May 1 last year so we are a full week early.

6. toddly911

toddly911 Young Morel

found 5 lbs of blacks yesterday.
    :p

7. butchbob

Nine dozen mostly sub two-inch black morels today at 5,200 and 5,800 elevations. Same patches produced May 18 last year. A week of snow starts tonight so we picked all we found.

8. jetwhitcher

jetwhitcher Morel Enthusiast

Hi I haven't ever hunted morels I have herd people talking about finding them here and I am just wondering where to look I looked along spring creek and didn't find any i don't know if it's to early or if I'm not looking in the right area help would be appreciated :lol:

9. butchbob

First of the year stream side yellow morels this week, they popped about 10-days earlier than 2015. Last weeks half foot snow is now melted below 6,000' elevation so black morels have again started.

10. jetwhitcher

I have been hitting the hills hard and I think I may have found some oyster mushrooms. Do you guys know if morels grow in the same spot every year because my grandpa told me that he found a few pounds of them in an area but I found nothing. Also what kind of trees do they grow by. I am feeling stressed that the season may be over soon.

11. butchbob

Crazy cold nights this week w/more cold to come. Need way more wet. Here is what is working for us now: 4,200' to 6,600' elevations SW or NE MOIST slopes - direction/elevation makes no difference, just spend the time on likely MOIST habitat where you can easily see a two inch morel. Aspen/ironwood/chokecherry/oak dominant w/short juniper and sparingly few pine or spruce and zero birch. Violets, pasque and Oregon grape in bloom. Roughly 30% up since the last snows, remainder fresh white stems. Turkey season still ongoing plus a bazillion mountain bikes so lots of folks in the woods.

12. aspens4morels

I left quite a few baby morels Thursday. With these cold nights do you think it was a mistake not picking them?

13. butchbob

Let us know if those little ones get bigger Al. First of the year mountain blonde morels today all but one are less than a half inch. Also found 75 black morels. Yesterdays snow gave us plus half inch of melted precipitation, but need much more.

14. aspens4morels

My babies didn't do well. They grew a little bit but the frost got to them. I did find 60 total with most of them good to eat. Most over 2 inches. :) good luck out there.

15. butchbob

Big find on the flat land streams where 162 big yellows were waiting for us! Left about 30 behind as too far gone. Most were around a single cottonwood. Ground cover is knee high or taller.

16. butchbob

Very dry Friday as we found less than a dozen blacks at multiple sites at all elevations up to 6,500 ft. Need a lot of rain!

17. jetwhitcher

Haven't found a morel yet gonna hit it hard today I'm thinking about going around the deer field area in higher elevations. I have had zero luck in lower elevations in limestone soil

18. lindseyr702

lindseyr702 Young Morel

Also new to this from the Spearfish area. I know nobody is going to give away their spots but is the season over? It's been so dry and cool!

19. butchbob

Still extremely dry, but a sparingly few black morels at highest elevations around Rochford this week. More pounds of oysters than morels. Focused on moist north slopes with thin ground cover, lots of aspen where Chokecherry, purple violets and dandylions just starting to bloom.