SoDak Morels 2018

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by butchbob, Dec 13, 2017.

1. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

Legion Lake fire in Custer State Park grew from 4K acres yesterday to 47K acres tonight. State park, Wind Cave National Park, forest service and private lands scorched. Come April/May this may be a good place to look for burn morels. Of course, no collecting anything in a national park - collecting in a state park rules are uncertain to me. Pray for snow/rain tonight.

Scott Clyde likes this.
  2. butchbob

Fire ended at 54,000 acres. Collecting anything in a state park is not allowed per state web page - "penalties are stiff." That leaves adjacent USFS and private lands (w/permission) still open for harvest. About 4 feet of snow fell on the burn area the past 10 weeks.

1 person likes this.

3. butchbob

All 10 of the Black Hills snow course readings measure at 109% to 238% of water equivalent inches. Roughly 2+ feet of snow over 1.4 million acres right now w/another foot coming Monday. Data is from the National Weather Service. It is a start towards busting our drought!

4. Newtojus

Newtojus Morel Enthusiast

How much more productive are wet years than ones like last year?

5. butchbob

New - Our notes show that wet years are roughly 3-4X better, quantity and weight, especially in the southern hills. Still need heat to compliment the wet.

6. Newtojus

Excellent. I didn’t know they grew here until last year when I stumbled upon them. Found one good patch in the northern hills and will look around a little more this year

7. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

Butchbob....you going to find some this year for Easter? Crazy last year. Hoping for major warmth for lost of oysters and morels!

8. butchbob

Mary, our early spots have 2-3 feet of snow cover, forecast for another 2 weeks of cold (8 above zero now) and methinks it will be very late April for the first blacks in the northern/central hills. We will scout for morels while turkey hunting by Edgemont starting April 14th.

Scott Clyde likes this.
  9. Owsley

Owsley Young Morel

New to the forums, new to the black hills, and new to morel hunting! Did I mention I was new?
    Just thought I’d introduce myself. The family and I moved to Custer a little over 2 yrs ago now. We have been vacationing out here for over 15 years and decided to finally live where we love to be!! We are avid Fairburn and hills agate hunters.
    Very excited to add morels to the list of our treasures! Both the wife and I have never picked a morel, not one! But we have extremely high hopes for this year. Apart from scouring these forums for tips we have a few friends in rapid, that while still a bit secretive... have agreed to get us pointed in the right direction. So long story short I’m glad to be here and plan on posting lots of pics of this upcoming seasons finds!!

Ps... I’m don’t want to come off too confident! I’m still open to any hints/tips for my general area!! Thanks!

Scott Clyde likes this.
  10. Scott Clyde

Scott Clyde Morel Enthusiast

I am anxious to get out looking for Morels! I was always taught that mushrooms were poisonous, but I am finding that information to be wrong!

Owsley likes this.
  11. Scott Clyde

I know of a couple good fire areas from the last few years. How long is a burn good for? One or two years? Or longer?

12. Scott Clyde

13. Scott Clyde

I am in the Northern Hills and am new to mushroom hunting, but I'm sure they will be found in the area with no problems. I also have friends that hunt Fairburn Agates and plan a trip to fairburn area. Your profile pic show's some beautiful ones!

Owsley likes this.
  14. Owsley

Owsley Young Morel

Thanks! It’s actually the front and back of the same agate! My best find to date. Good luck to you up north!

Scott Clyde likes this.
  15. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

Any luck yet? I just got a pic from fiance of Pasques!

16. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

Pasques are blooming! Any luck yet Butchbob?

17. butchbob

Mary, no fungus yet. This week the feds used a D6 to move 2-5 feet of snow for timber access in the NW hills. Ground looks to be mostly snow free in the eastern, central and southern hills.

18. Newtojus

Not models but getting closer

Attached Files:

19. StringerLand

StringerLand Young Morel

Live on Rt. 79 side of Black Hills, also noticed pasque flowers blooming. Found some morels in the Yankton area a few years back, went with someone. New to looking for morels in the black hills but will give it a go. Any hints on what to look for is appreciated, not asking for areas. Will let you know what I see.

20. Newtojus

Thick aspen groves seem to be the ticket for me. Soft loamy moist soil in and around the bottom of draws. Burn area produced one for me last year but I’m new to hunting the area as well