Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blizzard ongoing right now. To get another foot or two of snow on top of the three feet covering the morel patches.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That depends. If this storm is what they say........
Welcome Youngmushrooms! Thats a Hella of alot a snow heading your way!! Hunker down, stay warm! Prepare your gear, locations to hunt, etc etc. I like to practice visualizing the morel shape. Its the small things that help get me focused for the season(also checking in on this site) when I cant actually get out hunting. Looking foward to seeing how SouthDakota's season progresses!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sure is, im gonna spend these days making up some liquid culture and a few jars of cordyceps. I already have my yard cleaned up for spring and my garden is started in the greenhouse. Ive been out taking soil temps for the last week. We were hitting the 40's so this snow is going strait into the ground at lower elevations. Lets hope this goes away fast ao we can get out there!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Farthest southern Black Hills are essentially snow free where we hunted turkey this weekend, but no 'shrooms growing yet. Over 30 inches snow in northern hills and 2 feet central hills last week on top of plenty of earlier snow.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Two very heavy fog zones this Easter morning help define two early elevations for black morels in the Black Hills and Bear Lodge. Look out your window and remember them. We've had nine distinct rain events since the 2-3 foot snow of 10-days ago thus assisting with frost leaving the ground and most snow gone up to the 5,500' elevation. Lots of new polypore on pine found this week, but nothing edible yet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I think its safe to say we have the moisture!! Just need some warm weather!! I did see a post on a south dakota hunting page that a Turkey hunter found a nice yellow while chasing turkeys. " Edge of the birch trees. Under the pine. Wet n warm dirt." Was the only comment on whereabouts. Good luck everyone, hopefully we are all eating some fresh morels soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I searched around 5500 feet between 6400feet. There was snow still on the ground but with the warmth and a little rain it was gone by the end of the day. No morels found in central hills today for me. Dandelions and other flowers at 5400 feet and up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Morning hunt today, four of us, Meade County high country, sunny SE facing slopes, aspen, pine and Oregon grape yielded 9 black morels. Left four to grow, but had to harvest five at 1.5 inches/each just to have first of 2019 Black Hills morels. At this spot dandelions are just starting to poke up, but no other new growth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning hunt today, four of us, Meade County high country, sunny SE facing slopes, aspen, pine and Oregon grape yielded 9 black morels. Left four to grow, but had to harvest five at 1.5 inches/each just to have first of 2019 Black Hills morels. At this spot dandelions are just starting to poke up, but no other new growth.
New to the Black Hills, grew up along the Missouri river currently living in the Hot Springs. Are there any tips or general locations you would be willing to share to finding morels? Thank you

1 - 20 of 77 Posts