SoDak Morels 2019

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by butchbob, Mar 13, 2019.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Are you guys hunting burns up there or is it just a good year? Really nice looking yellows and other colors. We have no blacks back here in NW. Mo. It looked like you were hunting in dead looking stuff in some pictures. Logging? I just find it amazing that morels grow in so many places. Thought I knew everything 25 years ago before the internet took off, duh. I noticed someone mentioned limestone, same here.

eric stites likes this.
  2. eric stites

eric stites Morel Enthusiast

I would like to hunt some burn areas down here but I don't know where they are I've been hunting River bottoms but I'd like to get up in the hills and some burn areas

3. eric stites

4. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

kb - we are having a top 10 year for precipitation - a good portion of it coming as wet, heavy and late snows. Yellows usually follow blacks by 10-14 days, but are popping near each other now as season is late. A normal year has us finding 90% or more blacks and few yellows. The Black Hills are one of the few remaining National forests with 3-4 sawmills so we have abundant ponderosa pine harvest and those logging areas are productive. Burn areas are hit/miss. Limestone and sandstone are preferred source rocks for morel soils.

1 person likes this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks butch, I have read your posts over the years and wondered what you hunt. My only elevation change is about 500 ft. around here. I have not been in the Black Hills since 1989 or so but I knew there was limestone due to the caves. I have not really developed a taste for the blacks, but those big greys look mighty good. Eric it looks like you need to figure out where the recent logging has happened in the Nat. Forest. May be posted somewhere? I don't know if the pine act like elm or cottonwood when they die or not, if they do then you get a year or two.

eric stites likes this.
  6. eric stites

Anyone still having any luck

7. butchbob

Found one yellow and 4 dozen blacks today 5,300-5,500 foot elevation. Half the blacks are tan stems and remainder fresh. Many of our patches are still completely saturated.

eric stites likes this.
  8. border collie 5

border collie 5 Young Morel

I finally found a small patch of blacks. Most of the blacks I found we're tipped over with broken stems, is this normal?

Seems like all I can usually find are false morels. Do you ever find true morels along with false morels or do they fruit at different times/places?

eric stites likes this.
  9. butchbob

Feds will finally open most of the seasonally locked USFS gates this weekend! Border Collie - old and expired morels will tip over so leave them lay. Yesterday a great many false morels were found about 200 feet lower in elevation than black morels.

eric stites likes this.
  10. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

We will be going out this weekend to look at our holes behind the gates. Found 9 in that area the other day. Had to leave some too dried out. Will be going higher at some point throughout the week. Happy hunting all!

Attached Files:

11. Michael J

Michael J Young Morel

I found 2 blacks today, 6-6-19, 5,200 elevataion, northern hills.

eric stites likes this.
  12. butchbob

Only 3 black morels yesterday in 5 hours, but 13 different aspen's provided very fresh oyster mushrooms at 5,850 elevation. All oysters were found w/in 50-foot elevation change.

eric stites likes this.
  13. Wade Evans

Wade Evans Young Morel

newbie, just found my 1st Morels today, in the Black Hills.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    eric stites likes this.
  14. border collie 5

border collie 5 Young Morel

Nice! I found my first patch of blacks this year.

eric stites likes this.
  15. eric stites

Going to try up at pactola lake on some of the off road trails if anyone wants to come!! I have no idea what im doing up there but me and the wife are going to give it a try!!

16. DVfungiLover

DVfungiLover Morel Enthusiast

Looking around bear gulch. Not seeing anything of interest

17. DVfungiLover

DVfungiLover Morel Enthusiast

Attached Files: