Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy snow season over northwestern half of Black Hills with Terry Peak officially reporting 20 feet since October 1. Still more fell along the Wyoming border. Way above average snow amounts remain in the northern and west central hills. Lesser snow amounts fell eastern and southern hills and along west river streams. Should we get a slow melt and a few timely rains, I forecast that we should have an excellent morel season extending into June. Other opinions welcome!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Heavy snow season over northwestern half of Black Hills with Terry Peak officially reporting 20 feet since October 1. Still more fell along the Wyoming border. Way above average snow amounts remain in the northern and west central hills. Lesser snow amounts fell eastern and southern hills and along west river streams. Should we get a slow melt and a few timely rains, I forecast that we should have an excellent morel season extending into June. Other opinions welcome!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Custer still cold and snowy. Had frost this am. Ready for this to be over. Looking forward to hunting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the NE and we just had 2 inches of snow yesterday. Last year was the first year I collected Morels. I'm hoping for more this year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can hardly wait!! Been checking ground temperatures at a couple of spots from last year but everything's still in the forties. As last year was my first, wondering just how early you folks have found them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can hardly wait!! Been checking ground temperatures at a couple of spots from last year but everything's still in the forties. As last year was my first, wondering just how early you folks have found them?
From memory, April 12 earliest for black morels in Black Hills. Last week a foot of snow and -2 temp. This weekend another foot or so snow to come and near zero low temps early in week. A guess, perhaps first low elevation blacks this year by April 26?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Blizzard came and almost gone. Hopeful it the last. A lot warmer East River. Running South today and am going to have to take a gander. I'm concerned about FS gates again this year. Let's hope for a bit of a dry up so they open.

·
Registered
51 Posts
From memory, April 12 earliest for black morels in Black Hills. Last week a foot of snow and -2 temp. This weekend another foot or so snow to come and near zero low temps early in week. A guess, perhaps first low elevation blacks this year by April 26?
Yes. You had them for Easter Dinner and I was blown away because there were still none in our spots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely looking forward to this year for morels! We just moved not to long ago to eastern Wyoming by the border of SD and go to the hills all the time! Never hunted in the black hills. We moved from Nebraska by Scottsbluff and they are PLENTIFUL around that area and especially in the eastern part of Nebraska where we lived previous to that. Any tips or recommendations for the black hills to look? Never hunted in them but we go to the hills all the time for hiking, fishing, camping and just seeing them. Any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lived in Aberdeen for 2 years and never knew where to look! Roughly where did you find yours? (P.S. - you dont have to give me exact locations lol)
I'll just say they were within 20 miles of Aberdeen. I also found some in my yard one year and I've heard of others finding them in town. I bird a lot, so I get to many different places. Last year was so late that it was perfect with our Warbler season, or I may not have found them. This year I'm going out early and looking down, not up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never looked very hard near Aberdeen. I did look in and around Sica Hollow by Sisseton but it might have been a little early and had no luck last year. Have you ever found any there any of the years? Just curious if they do grow there cause I figured it would be perfect ground for them. Also looked near the woods near Sand Lake but again, no luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! I am new to this forum. Really excited for the morel season to start. I did real well will chanterelles and lobsters last fall, and have only stumbled across a few morels but I am going to actively search this spring. I would love to meet up with other enthusiasts if anyone is willing. I live near Rapid but am willing to travel about anywhere in the Hills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would love to meet up with you and go hunting for morels this spring too! The rain today should definitely help! Do you have facebook?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I never looked very hard near Aberdeen. I did look in and around Sica Hollow by Sisseton but it might have been a little early and had no luck last year. Have you ever found any there any of the years? Just curious if they do grow there cause I figured it would be perfect ground for them. Also looked near the woods near Sand Lake but again, no luck.
I tried Sica Hollow last year but I think I was to late. We get asked every year, while birding if we are there to pick mushrooms. I'm sure they are asking for a reason. I'm going to get there early this year. I have never tried Sand Lake, most refuges will not let you pick anything.
My renter said his neighbor in Ashley ND had them in his yard. He said he'd let me know if it happened this year.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts