SoDak Morels 2020

Discussion in 'South Dakota' started by butchbob, Mar 20, 2020.

1. hikethehills

hikethehills Morel Enthusiast

artist conk, birch poloypore

2. A-A-RON

A-A-RON Morel Enthusiast

What’s the edibility of them?

3. A-A-RON

A-A-RON Morel Enthusiast

Do you mind telling what they were growing around? The few I found were always around moss. I figured aspens would have shown some but none at all. Pines were very close too.

4. hikethehills

They are not edible

5. butchbob

butchbob Morel Connoisseur

For those headed out to the NW half of the hills this weekend you may want to stay at low elevations. We have only found 2 morels above 4000 feet.

Mowgli likes this.
  6. hikethehills

Went out yesterday in the wind and rain. Was cold and wet when I headed for the car. The fastest way was down a north facing draw, there were lots there. Wonder if it is how our late moisture is hitting the ground. ??? Was at 4300 ft. Its like the rain gives them a shine!

Kfreeman810 likes this.
  7. Mowgli

Mowgli Morel Enthusiast

Found just a few in a couple spots I tracked down last year. One day earlier than a really good flush last year. Like all the rain we've had in the last week but the few I found this afternoon are just inches away from snow. Low temps in the coming week are sure to shut things down.

Attached Files:

8. Kfreeman810

Kfreeman810 Morel Enthusiast

We ended up hunting the same place that mowgli and hikethehills showed us the other day and found 4 more with 1 of them being especially good size! Think we were able to check that spot thoroughly so we will be hunting for new ground now until more mushrooms have a chance to pop up there. I think we will definitely be checking by pactola and near tinton and see if we have any luck. Anyone else have any other ideas? Is there any kind of map or anything from the forest service to possibly show different logging units including fresh ones?

Tomorel and Mowgli like this.
  9. maryc65

maryc65 Morel Enthusiast

Old logged unit. All pines. Alot in the draws and skidder tracks. Pasques up but not all bloomed yet. Aspen and pine mix can be good. Elevation is key right now. We always drive miles to hunt. Found some false ones and cups too. Moss is a good indicator of moisture but morels can be found anywhere. Waiting for warmer weather to go again.

Kfreeman810 and Mowgli like this.
  10. NESDak

NESDak Morel Enthusiast

Do the grays turn into yellows?

Attached Files:

11. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

No they dont there are 3 main types of morels black grey and yellow ther are also half frees and within those types there are different sub species of morels also some one on another page posted a link to some reserch that was done a few years back ill see if i can find it and post it here for you guys

Mowgli likes this.
  12. Trent E Thormodsgaard

Trent E Thormodsgaard Young Morel

Hello all
    First time posting. I'm from southeast SD and have been hunting morels for a few years now along the Missouri. I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge on hunting in Newton Hills State Park? I've heard of people having luck but am looking for a little guidance.
    Appreciate any help thanks.

Mowgli likes this.
  13. High Morale

High Morale Young Morel

If I were to go hunting morels Sun. thru Wed. May 17-20 what elev. should I be looking? It is supposed to be very warm 80s Tues + Wed. Have not had very good luck in the past. Any pointers appreciated.

COMO-REN1199 likes this.
  14. hikethehills

My thoughts and where I would look is 4000-5000 ft, old logging areas, start on east/south slopes but if pickings are slow like they have been look to the north and west slopes too. Good luck hunting!

15. eric stites

eric stites Morel Enthusiast

Hello, got stationed here last year just missed mushroom season looking to go out here in the next few days. Found a few yesterday along rapid creek. Looking to go up near camp 5 and try my luck. From ohio so hunting them in the mountains is new to me. If anybody would be willing to show me the ropes out here id appreciate it, always good to have company out in the woods.

COMO-REN1199 and Kfreeman810 like this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Morel Enthusiast

Anyone having any luck in the Spearfish area??? I'm up for the day tomorrow- have a few spots in mind...

17. Tomorel

Tomorel Young Morel

18. Tomorel

Tomorel Young Morel

I usually go along the River by Springfield but haven't done very well the last few years. I have to go West on Wednesday and thought I'd try my luck in the Hills. Had anyone ever found any Morels by Moon?

19. Brennen Javorsky

Brennen Javorsky Morel Enthusiast

Found 10 blacks this evening about 5500 nearish to Spearfish. Aspen and pine mix. Left a number of little guys for next time. We moved around here this winter, but have hunted in Iowa and burn areas in Idaho. Not used to blacks! Can’t add pictures yet gotta post a couple more times.

20. Brennen Javorsky

Brennen Javorsky Morel Enthusiast

Has anyone had any luck this weekend? We found a few more near Spearfish, but nothing worth writing home about. Anybody else have more luck?