Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ready for the season, if any one needs a hunting buddy let me know! This will be my second season here. Going back home at the end of April to hunt there for a few weeks. I'll be sure and update my findings for sodak here. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys, first time hunting this year! is anyone else in the south east? any tips? its hard to find any info about my neck of the corn fields

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very very excited for my 2nd season hunting in the hills this year! Had some friends on here show me some tips last year for hunting the hills and did a LOT of driving around, looking at all sorts of maps, including topo maps and I think it will pay off this year! Also have some ideas of where to hunt from this last year's fire areas that were prescribed burns. Just saw today that the first morel was found in Douglas County in Nebraska where I am originally from and normally within a week maybe 2 weeks if it stays warm here, is when we might start finding some morels. The 50 and 60 degree days will definitely help in warming the ground up! Will definitely be going to my first place i found morels in about a week maybe 2 and checking soil temps! Good luck all! Very excited for this season! Can't come soon enough!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ready for the season, if any one needs a hunting buddy let me know! This will be my second season here. Going back home at the end of April to hunt there for a few weeks. I'll be sure and update my findings for sodak here. Good luck to all!
Would love to go hunting this year with you again. Have some new ideas for hunting. Remember where we went last year just east of hill city? Well they did a major prescribed burn there and that is going to be my first place to check out and see if theres gonna be a possibly of some good shrooms there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello from Ohio. I live in the rural hills of Ohio and have grown up hunting morels for all my 66 years. Five years ago my daughter moved to your great state of South Dakota, in Pierre and misses the annual mushroom dinners. We visit her at least once annually. This year we are coming in mid May. we'd love to hunt some morels, probably in the black hills. I have no idea about the rules on public land or where to look. Any hints or help would be a great gift and appreciated. I'm nit looking to raid anyone's area, just want a place to look without getting in trouble. Is mid May even within season? I also am an avid turkey hunter and like hearing birds gobble or even hunt them. Never hunted SD, but many other states. We will be thankful for any kind of information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello from Ohio. I live in the rural hills of Ohio and have grown up hunting morels for all my 66 years. Five years ago my daughter moved to your great state of South Dakota, in Pierre and misses the annual mushroom dinners. We visit her at least once annually. This year we are coming in mid May. we'd love to hunt some morels, probably in the black hills. I have no idea about the rules on public land or where to look. Any hints or help would be a great gift and appreciated. I'm nit looking to raid anyone's area, just want a place to look without getting in trouble. Is mid May even within season? I also am an avid turkey hunter and like hearing birds gobble or even hunt them. Never hunted SD, but many other states. We will be thankful for any kind of information.
I'm from Ohio as well the mushroom hunting out here isn't as good as back home but you can still find them I would suggest get out and look for places that were burnt a year or two ago

·
Registered
24 Posts
Biggest tip I can give you for the Black hills is that you cannot hunt in any of the major parks (Wind Cave, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave) for May, higher elevations are key. Definitely follow this forum as we will post where to find them as far as what elevation and when. Hoping we get some good moisture through spring. That will help a lot if we do. Hunting in the hills is all about the elevation and timing. For example, early in the season it is not smart to look at elevations close to 6000ft but it is smart to look at the very low 5000's and even dipping into 4000s. Prime temp for soil is around 50 when they start popping so take a good thermometer with you such as a meat thermometer that will read the lower Temps. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it is worth, comments on questions above: Missouri River below the dams focus on unflooded areas with cottonwood for yellows; SooFoo focus on the Big Sioux, Newton Hills - cottonwoods and ash; turkey season opened in the Black Hills on 4.10 and tags are available through 5.31 online at GFP in Pierre; IMHO fire morels are not common in the Black Hills, but are worth searching as we did extremely well on only one fire ever and that giant fire burnt the prior July and was followed by +12 inches rain in May; over the decades we have looked over hundreds of BH fires and to date just one really produced; saw our first dandelion on 4.8 and when they seed morels quickly follow; we have 4 planting zones in the hills allowing for potential black morel harvest mid-April thru end of June, just climb in elevation; 1.4 million acres of public land in the hills - go enjoy; moisture is paramount and wet the 100-days prior to morels fruiting is key, sadly we are substantially below normal for moisture bordering on drought.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I last checked soil temps last week at our first spot we normally find morels and it was at 40.1°F so hopefully this coming week of warmer temps will get the ground temp where it needs to be and hopefully get some moisture. Hoping for a better season than last year but in order for that to happen, need moisture and bad.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well good news!!! Soil Temps are right where they need to be around the 5300-5500 elevation in certain areas. Hoping Sunday we get the rain to help. Didn't look too dry though thankfully where I was looking but it does still need some more moisture. Went down to Nebraska couple days ago and it is as dry as a desert. Don't think Western Nebraska will have much of a season unless they get moisture and now. Hopefully that's not the case for us. Has anyone found any in the hills yet? We are going out tomorrow to look at our known spots in hopes we even find one or a couple. Just been too dry still and weird weather. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
First black morels and first cottonwood oysters of 2021 at 3,100-3,400 elevations Fall River County. South facing slopes in transition zones cottonwood to pine.
How did it look down there for moisture? Really dry or still some moisture in the ground? What were the Temps down there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm super happy and excited that morels are being found! This rain from last night and hopefully some more today will help a lot! Will probably go do some hunting tomorrow and hope for some good results. Have yet to find our first Black Hills morels but I'm sure they are coming soon! Good luck and happy hunting!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts