Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will be in SD next weekend and the following week...hope I can find a spot to look. My daughter moved to pierre 5 years ago and hasn't had a morel to eat since. It would be nice to find just enough to let her have at least one meal of morels.
I’ve never hunted SD but I do know that the soil on the east side of the Missouri River is glacial silt and seems to me that it would retain more moisture and be more productive than the sandy soil west of the river.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So far we have been striking out on morels this year up here. Not sure if we are just not looking hard enough or if we are looking in the wrong places. This is only our second year of looking up here and last year we only found morels in 2 spots. Hoping this year will be better but its not looking super promising yet. Did find a good spot to look that was very similar to where we would find them last year as well as down south but no luck yet. Was a little early there as Temps were about 48-49 but could have been from the colder days and nights we have been having. Need some warmer Temps. I did find 3 different kinds of mushrooms in that spot though which is a good sign. Bunch of shelf mushrooms from last year, couple puffballs from last year and some fresh ones that I'm not sure what they were. They were small maybe the size of my pinky and slight orange/brownish tint to them and round on top with a skinny stem. Anyone have any idea what kind those might be? I'm going back to that spot in the next couple days and can take a picture of them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found my first blacks just a week ago. 3800- 4300 feet. South / South East slopes. 1-3 year old logging area. This random moisture and cooler temps must be keeping ground temperatures down. Found my first yellows today at 3800 feet. East-facing slopes. Old Logging area. Everything is hiding in the matted tall grass. I'm sure I've stepped over twice as many as I have found...

·
Registered
24 Posts
We found about 3 dozen blacks around 4400 elevation Lawrence County couple days ago. Open area by apsen and pine. 2 large slash piles nearby. Lots of mullen and underbrush. Going back to look in a couple days. Also found 3 morels in our usual spot north of Nemo. Mainly pine and lots of down and dead wood in the area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just got back from ohio season was pretty much a bust there anyone still having luck here? Going to be going out this weekend

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love those pic's! As a newby, I like to know what I'm looking for! I'm in the Northern Hills and going to go looking today!
Well as a good tip as a first beginner myself, look for a lot of birch, oak and aspen. Right now look for North facing slopes or the signs of moss growning on the trees. Then start looking in the thick damp foliage wear long sleeves and pants cause were you look theres the red thorn sprigs everywhere also helps taking garden gloves if you dont want to get scratched up. They will sometimes look like pine cones in the grass and you gotta keep a eye on the ground and were you step. They like to be in the thick dense clusters of trees at the base or around and usually really close to a road and about 6 ft in also from there on scour the area out. If you find a hole look in it. When going deeper in the area sometimes they are sparse. Look under fallen branches with leaves on sometimes you get lucky their too.
I hope that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love those pic's! As a newby, I like to know what I'm looking for! I'm in the Northern Hills and going to go looking today!
Thanks also for liking the pics. It's so exciting when you fi d them and then the chase is a foot!! You'll catch the bug. Also another tip keep going down the road if you cant find any especially if the grass is dry then you wont find any!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found 5 dozen this evening around 5000 - 5500 in the northern hills. Ground still has some moisture up here, but hoping for more rain the next couple of days. Logging area. Mostly pines. One patch had probably 15 morels. All blacks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Last of low elevation (<3,900') riparian zone, yellow morels today, saw five +30" snakes of which 4 were bull snakes. Landowner has seen many rattlers. Did harvest 2 doz. drying cap yellow morels (green ash and cottonwood) and ~10# 6-8" asparagus tips, grass a foot tall or better. Southern Black Hills, <60% of normal rain past 40-days. Time to climb elevation and pray for drought-busting rains!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the Forum @IdiotOutWanderingAround ! G'Luck with your season up there 🍄!
Thanks Hawkeye. Hope I actually have a season! First time I’ve been in the BH early enough for morels, and still trying to find my first! Did find some boletes last summer though, and saw a puffball on a horse ride a couple days ago, but don’t know those well so they didn’t make it to a frying pan. Tried an aspen gulch just E of Custer yesterday and no luck either.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Hawkeye. Hope I actually have a season! First time I’ve been in the BH early enough for morels, and still trying to find my first! Did find some boletes last summer though, and saw a puffball on a horse ride a couple days ago, but don’t know those well so they didn’t make it to a frying pan. Tried an aspen gulch just E of Custer yesterday and no luck either.
If you cut open a puffball and it’s white inside it’s good to eat.
Yellow inside throw it away.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts