Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found 10 or so small black morels on our property near Nemo recently. I've been focusing on aspen groves but only found one near a creek in the area. Is it typical to find them near other types of trees in this area? Hopefully with the rain now falling the pop will really take hold.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Puffballs don't have much flavor on their own, but they absorb the flavor of anything they are cooked with. Some guys at my fish & game club came up with an idea. We get some really giant puffballs at the club. I've found them as big as watermelons! These guys sliced them and used the slices like pizza dough! Top with sauce, and assorted pizza topping of your preference, and bake on a pizza stone. They said it came out phenomenal!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Puffballs don't have much flavor on their own, but they absorb the flavor of anything they are cooked with. Some guys at my fish & game club came up with an idea. We get some really giant puffballs at the club. I've found them as big as watermelons! These guys sliced them and used the slices like pizza dough! Top with sauce, and assorted pizza topping of your preference, and bake on a pizza stone. They said it came out phenomenal!
That sounds really good.👍

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yesterday. 5100 ft northern hills produced a bunch of mostly fresh morels. Apsen draw bottom. Some were so small I left to grow a bit.
Other thing to note. I found a bunch 15 days ago above this draw full sun logging area that were old. When I found those this draw had none and minimal vegetation. The thing I would note is the dandelions just flowered for the first time in the bottom of the draw which gets little sun

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other thing to note. I found a bunch 15 days ago above this draw full sun logging area that were old. When I found those this draw had none and minimal vegetation. The thing I would note is the dandelions just flowered for the first time in the bottom of the draw which gets little sun
north or south facing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Found couple dozen morels on north facing slopes around 5500 in Lawrence county. Also found first harvestable oysters in the same location. Didn't finducjnin logged area, but had luck in mature Aspen/pine mix with a log of deadfall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We found a bunch of black morels today in Lawrence county. Some fresh, some pretty dried, and some with some slugs starting to get inside. Do you guys recommend just soaking them and eating them after cooking, even though I picked some slugs out?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Have you seen on iweather.net the rainfall totals for south of Deerfield lake from 1 to 2 inches. When after morels I always chase the rain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fried some of them up and others used in a crème de panna type pasta dish. Texture is a little soft, they turn almost creamy, but they are good.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts