South Carolina Morels 2019

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by Pensaul, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Pensaul

Pensaul Young Morel

Soil temps look great. Looking through fields, along stream banks and southern facing slopes. Tons of dead wood in various stages of decay but still nothing. So sad. I am off to look again. Any hints and good wishes appreciated!

Walkabout and eidolon like this.
  2. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Nobody hunts morels in S Carolina?

Pensaul likes this.

3. Pensaul

Pensaul Young Morel

Me! But I am a newbie. I am in the upstate. You?

4. Joel G_420

Joel G_420 Morel Enthusiast

Decided to take a walk in the woods and found 19 edible morel mushrooms in an hour. I also went out the following day and found another 10 morel mushrooms. 2 day total of 29 morel mushrooms. Not bad for a few hours worth of hunting. Morels do grow in SC but you have to know where to look. Happy hunting!!!

Attached Files:

HawkeyeMerkels likes this.
  5. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

I started last year, so far it's been pretty disappointing for me this year. I'm in Atlanta, but hunt mostly in NE GA around Athens. Going over to Northeast Alabama this weekend. I would think that the "tip" of SC, where it hits GA., would be prime hunting. Nobody much on this forum, it seems. Same is true of Alabama - people seem to hunt morels only in the area of Birmingham.

6. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

Would you mind saying what county you were in?

7. eidolon

eidolon Morel Enthusiast

If you want advice on hunting em, I would join the Georgia Morel Hunters group on facebook and take a look at the posts there. Lots of useful info, and many posters, mostly from central and north, northeastern Georgia. There are recent films of people hunting, showing the kind of habitats that work for around this area. The Georgia Mushrooming group on fb is very valuable, too.

8. Joel G_420

I live in the Upstate and the county is Greenville, SC. Happy hunting!

eidolon likes this.
  9. OSU fan

OSU fan Young Morel

Found 7 today in York county.

10. Joel G_420

Found a few yesterday while walking the dog for an hour in The Upstate.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. Carole T

Carole T Young Morel

I moved here from Ohio. I'm in Greenville County as well. Am I too late?

12. Skeetr2r

Skeetr2r Young Morel

New to Upstate, trying to figure out the specifics of how and when to hunt morals here. Formerly NE Central Ohio.
    Also formerly from
    Ohio, trying to lead the growing cycle here in upstate. Know nothing for this area as yet. Out looking this morning about 1.5 HR. No signs found
    Looking for advice.

13. Zach

Zach Young Morel

I'm also from NE Ohio... Raised in Medina, County. I find most of mine by popular, sycamore, and ash trees. Not alot of elms around. Look in creek bottoms right now. Yellows are up now, so the season is winding down. I start looking for tulip morels around the last week of March on south facing slopes under tulip poplars.

14. Zach

Zach Young Morel

15. Zach

Zach Young Morel