SOUTHEAST LOWER MICHIGAN

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by billyraybar, May 4, 2020.

1. David F

David F Young Morel

Really? I will now tho. Thanx.

2. David F

David F Young Morel

These are from last year. Went back to the spot this year and it was bulldozed

Attached Files:

3. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

Oh @SEMIpicker (SE MI picker). I get it. Nice.

4. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Connoisseur

Not to get into a pissing match but greys do in fact turn to yellows. Most likely you simple missed the greys five days ago and they have matured. It happens even to the best of us. I’m always amazed how long it takes me to find the 1st small greys even thou I know exactly where they grow. There could be like ten in front of me and my eyes just don’t see them. Good luck.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  5. billb3

billb3 Morel Enthusiast

6. billb3

billb3 Morel Enthusiast

Oakland County, rocking 1AB8E552-DF9A-4FCF-A261-77512723280E.jpeg

7. Kbart

Kbart Morel Connoisseur

Noooo!

8. SEMIpicker

SEMIpicker Morel Enthusiast

Nice, never seen them grow in a clump like that.

9. SEMIpicker

Looks like your a mountain biker picker too, cover a lot of ground that way. Good job!

10. SEMIpicker

If you find some and wash them in a bowl, keep the water and spread it around similarly, lots of spores in the wash.

11. M Hackett

M Hackett Morel Enthusiast

Really frustrated in SouthWest Michigan. Been out for probably a total of 20 hours and HAVE NOT found one Moral yet. Found other mushrooms, but no morals. I admit, I am new to this and I think I underestimated what it takes to be successful. I have soooo much respect for you guys/gals that are finding them. I prepared as best I could by watching videos and reading where too look; but just not having any success. Wondering if the DNR website that shows where the wildfires and prescribed burns is over-rated. I hit 7 or 8 of those places and of course, found nothing except for one very dried up moral. I know these kind of places can get hit hard if the info is available online so I do not underestimate that perspective, but I've walked probably 500+ acres of wild/prescribed burned areas, so I have to imagine, I would have hit areas where no one else did...anyway, what are your thoughts on these burned areas? Also, anybody have any tips that may assist me?
    I do enjoy the outdoors and the exercise so I cannot say its been a total bust...but would love to find at least a few. Anyway, hope everyone stays healthy and safe. GOD Bless everyone. Thank You
    Mike

12. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi M Hackett,

I pick morels in Northern Michigan but I can tell you I have yet to find or here of a good mess from the prescribed burns in the last three years. You would think it could work because I have experienced the awesome picking the year after a natural burn in the Upper Penninsula.
    Anyway my advice to you is to learn your trees and learn how to find what we call the natural morels. It is a challenge. It took me many
    years to accumulate a dozen or so goto spots. There was a time when I had to scrounge just to get a few but now pick hundreds.

13. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

You probably can't find Morals in the woods but maybe at church. I'm looking for Morels. (still can't find any)

__TOM__ and (deleted member) like this.
  14. M Hackett

15. M Hackett

Thanks Glenn, I appreciate it. I'll keep at it. Going to leave the prescribed burns and venture elsewhere. Thanks again.

16. M Hackett

17. M Hackett

I'd prefer a little advice from the established hunters, if that applies to you. If that is all you have, then I'll thank you and move on. Peace.

18. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

All he's asking you to do is to learn how to spell! And, by the way, you can quote and reply in the same box!

1 person likes this.
  19. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I had much more to say other than that, but it's amazing how PC this site has become! I have no idea which terms I used that would be considered "objectionable", but the site offers no guidance! Which I view as a flaw! They pertained to Morchella Maximus, who should change his handle to Morchella Minimus! Let's see if they screw me over here!

20. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

Oh, so I’m finding all of your stems.....

M Hackett likes this.