SOUTHEAST LOWER MICHIGAN

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by billyraybar, May 4, 2020.

1. M Hackett

M Hackett Morel Enthusiast

thanks Shroomsearcher...any suggestions for me to the original question I posed? I would love to hear from experienced
    thanks Shroomsearcher...any suggestions for me to the original question I posed? I would love to hear from experienced hunters. Thank you and Peace.
    Hi Glenn,
    Hope not to bother you. Learning the trees is probably the best advice I've received thus far, so thank you, I appreciate it. One challenge I'm experiencing is identifying the elms. To me I have a hard time identifying them because it seems they are all so "dead" that isolating their looks from others is impossible because they no longer have bark. The suggestion of identifying the trees MUST hold importance because that seems to be the most given advice; so I must be missing something or using inaccurate ideas on what to use to figure out what is what...I don't know. I really enjoy the woods, nature and the anticipation of seeing what is just over the next hill so it's not a total waste of time. Regardless, I'd love to find some morels as well. Any suggestions, links to websites or anything that I can read, study to improve my ability? Again, don't mean to bother you but you were the only one to provide me with a helpful reply. Thank you again Gleen. GOD Bless and Peace to you and your family.

2. rtv

rtv Morel Enthusiast

southfield MI (the bright shiny thing is a quarter)
    m.jpeg

3. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Well, if they are that dead, they are probably not producing anyway! I hunt primarily on my fish & game club which is 2,200 acres! We have more dead elms than you can shake a stick at. Problem is that most of them are too long dead. Not a stitch of bark left on them, and the old snags starting to crumble! We have lots of apple trees scattered around, some sycamore and cottonwood. those are the trees I concentrate on now. I've also found some young, live elm, but never found a morel by them yet. Only found morels one time near a dead elm, while it still had some bark on it. The next year, all the bark was gone and big limbs were falling off of it! No more morels!

1 person likes this.
  4. __TOM__

__TOM__ Young Morel

Is it too late in Oakland County? I searched in northern OC on Sunday, May 24 and found nothing. Nothing. :(

5. billb3

billb3 Morel Enthusiast

It’s over:(

6. M Hackett

M Hackett Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Shroom, I've not really looked for Sycamore or Cottonwood but I will now. Appreciate the advice. Take care. Peace