southern iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by queeny, Apr 25, 2014.

1. queeny

queeny Young Morel

Finding little grays! Hit a honey spot yesterday - 167 grays.

2. ambernichole1212

ambernichole1212 Morel Enthusiast

3. queeny

queeny Young Morel

Wapello county

4. ambernichole1212

This rain will sure help the mushrooms I'm hoping! I will definitely be out this weekend looking! :D

5. wolfmomma0524

wolfmomma0524 Young Morel

Good for you, Queeny!! I have hope!!

6. ambernichole1212

I found some today, not many but they are starting to come up. I am from Burlington, Iowa!
    http://gyazo.com/1621a7bfe844c5e26a0011a64284287a

7. finderskeepers

finderskeepers Young Morel

Brought home 110 greys and yellows this morning. About 1 1/2 hours finding. Would have looked more but I work night shift and was getting very sleepy. Found over 200, but walked away from around 60 greys 1" tall hoping to see if they grow any by Friday morning. Usually I pick them when I find them but so many people tell me they will go ahead and grow.
    Guess I will find out! Going to prove someone wrong one way or the other. Already gave away 50 to the landowner (my father-in-law) so it was a nice morning to go. Will try later to post a picture. After some sleep!

8. finderskeepers

finderskeepers Young Morel

Oh, about 15 miles from the Missouri line in case anyone is curious.

9. podgey

podgey Young Morel

I would like to know once and for all if they actually continue to grow so please post your findings. Thanks Podge

10. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks for the posts Finder, sounds like you know what you are doing.. Are you in hills or on streams if I might ask. I hunt N. Central Mo., what part of Iowa are you in? Have not heard of much down my way, wonder if I am doing something wrong. Any info. greatly appreciated.

11. queeny

queeny Young Morel

Finding tons of grays! Kb-dont know about anyone else but finding on south facing hillsides and now on top. In Davis/wapello county. Found 2 plastic (like Walmart) sacks full today.

12. brandonpgm

brandonpgm Morel Enthusiast

last year i found a couple grays about 1/2 inch tall and decided to put a stick in the ground next to them to see if they would grow anymore. Went back after a week and they were still the exact same size, so i dont leave any of them anymore. Not saying that they wont grow in the perfect scenario but around here the weather always seems far from perfect hahaha.

13. queeny

queeny Young Morel

I've left mushrooms and went back later. They were just drying up.

14. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

I have covered morels before so other hunters would not find them, came back and they grew a lot. I have done it to grays and yellows. Later in season the big-foots really grow fast.

15. bocomomorels

bocomomorels Morel Enthusiast

I am in central Missouri. Season is rapping up down here. Im finding half that are to old and moldy and others have weathered just fine. Probably will be my last weekend looking down here.

16. bocomomorels

Finderskeepers

I had one of my late fathers spots (an area about 100 X 40yds) produce this year that I picked over twenty pounds in a five day period. First day a friend and I picked over 150 shrooms In an absolute down poor of rain. Three inches were the biggest down to tiny. The following four days I went back and picked at least 3-5lbs in about an hour and a half each time. The individual number count got smaller but the shrooms kept growing. What I thought the first day was I had about four good patches that were spread apart by 20-40yds. But what I realized the second day was the whole area was a huge patch that the shrooms were hiding in plan sight they just had to grow to show themselves through the debris.

If everything is right (weather and rain and location) they will continue to grow.

A WORD OF WARNING FOR ALL!

I thought about the idea if I had just walked away the first day and let them grow my first haul would have been huge. The last day I went to this little honey hole a guy came strolling up to me. He was looking for shrooms as well. I asked him if he had found some? He said he had went to the spot the day before and only found two small ones. Had I not been picking this spot he would have stumbled onto a mother load. This was the first time in 10 years I have seen someone at this spot.

That being said I would only leave them if you are on private land that has no pressure on it. The longer you leave them the easier it will be for yourself or someone else to see!

Good luck up north!

17. bocomomorels

Just so you know. Started to pick the above spot on 4/27 in Columbia Mo.

18. jonesin

jonesin Young Morel

Can not agree with you more about picking the small ones. 3 times last year I left some really small ones out to grow only to go back the next morning to find all of them have been picked. Its sad knowing that the your 100 mushrooms that only weigh 1 lb could have been much more weight with time.