Southern MN

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by pharce_phungus, May 21, 2013.

1. pharce_phungus

pharce_phungus Young Morel

Starting to find some with decent size....found 98 on Saturday, 25 Sunday, and 108 today. Had to leave my spot early as I was running short on time, had to giggle as I passed by a few shrooms because I was running late and my smallish sized mesh bag was stuffed and my pullover was made into a make-shift belly basket. Will have to go back tomorrow and finish picking. I'm farming some morels on my private hunting ground, and from just Sat-Mon they had already double or tripled in size from 1" to 3". I'm seeing a lot of people taking morels too early, whether for lack of knowledge, or fear of someone else getting them. This can't be good for spreading of spores. Anyone else have an opinion on pre-mature picking?

2. shroomtrooper

shroomtrooper Morel Connoisseur

As long as they are carrying mesh bags they are spreading more spores over a larger area than if you didn't pick the morel and let the wind spread the spores.

3. judy j

judy j Morel Enthusiast

If you pick them too early, the size hardly makes them worth the effort. However, I found some small morels that were already off their stem and developing a secondary fungal infection. I think smaller morels hold up better in the frig and don't crumble like the older ones. I guess I pick morels as long as their 2-3 inches tall. I do have a spore bag. When I drive by thousands of acres or woodland, I wonder how many morels are in there and I know that although there are more hunters out there, the majority of woodland is not hunted.

4. smartaz

smartaz Young Morel

Found around 150 last night in one spot. The ones I picked were all around 4-5 inches high. I also left a ton of smaller ones there and I plan to give them until Friday or Saturday and go back. Hopefully they are still there! I wasn't having any luck until reading some posts on here that people were finding them on the top of southside hills, so I concentrated on only those spots last night and it paid off! Thanks for the info. I've also heard that if you put a jar over the morel it really grows. Does anyone know if this is true? I think it's going to be a great year!

5. brooke

brooke Morel Enthusiast

I leave the small ones (2" or less) to grow, to spore, or for other hunters to find. We find enough in the overall season that I'm fine leaving some behind.

6. maltyxxx@yahoo_com

maltyxxx@yahoo_com Morel Enthusiast

I'm with you Brooke I can't see any reason in taking a 1" mushroom. I picked a 3" this morning that was just a bud on Saturday. This will be a banner year...they are really thick.

7. shroomster

shroomster Morel Enthusiast

I found some little grays today but they were pretty small about an inch, how long does anyone think I should let them go for? Do they not get as big as the yellows?

8. brooke

brooke Morel Enthusiast

Shroomster, check them again in a few days. They should be pickable by then. If you're in a spot where they are safe from other hunters, I'd even let them go a week. They all lighten up as they grow, so given the right growing conditions even those little grays will become big foots.

9. judy j

judy j Morel Enthusiast

Went about 60 miles south of the Twin Cities. Found about 20 morels, about 3" in size. It was COLD out there!

10. shroomster

shroomster Morel Enthusiast

Thanks Brooke il check again this weekend hopefully there still there it's public I don't have any private spots so I hope there hidden enough

11. mnmorelseeker

mnmorelseeker Morel Enthusiast

smartaz, i must say you have the most appropriate screen name i've come across, as per your last post ;)

12. pharce_phungus

pharce_phungus Young Morel

I was a day late getting back to clean up my spots from my Tuesday post....I got there today, only to find another hunter with about a 1/4 full pillowcase sized mesh bag. I asked how he was doing...which startled him...he said "finding a few" We talked for a minute or so, but knowing morel etiquette, I told him good luck and turned around and headed out...feeling pretty disgusted. I can't complain, it is on public land... I was just bummed to find someone in one of my sure spots.

13. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Minn. sounds good this year. Small shrooms, more are picking and getting desperate. Near big cities no size is too small. I don't like it but what can you do? As to the spores, no worries, I saw spots so loaded with rotting mature morels that had been spored out it was crazy. In the same spots I left tiny new morels. Anyone who hunted southern Kan. saw that this year. Literally thousands of pounds rot away in the MO. River bottoms as we sit here, no one will ever pick them.

14. fungi ranger

fungi ranger Morel Enthusiast

Minnesota pickers work harder so we have more competition :)

15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Not counting the southern invasion headed your way!.

16. fungi ranger

fungi ranger Morel Enthusiast

We have enough city folk come down here... Not too worried about them outta staters. We just start shooting our guns in the air and they run out of the woods like little girls :)

17. johnny

johnny Morel Enthusiast

When I go out I wear all drab green from head to toe and make a point not to make a lot of noise. Almost gave two different people heart attacks today when they stomped and crashed within 10 yards of me before I said "Any luck?" I've had people pass by close enough to spit on in heavy undergrowth that never even knew I was there. Feels kinda creepy and awesome at the same time. Glad I grew up in the sticks.

18. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Heck we hunt military bases where they use real weapons and razor wire, other stuff might as well be bottle rockets. Anyone hitting any cottonwoods up yonder?

19. morelhunter123

morelhunter123 Young Morel

Im 30 min south east of the twin cities and we are just finding some tiny ones, were is it peak season in MN?? Im going to travel tomorrow to see if i have better luck.

20. johnny

johnny Morel Enthusiast

It's just a weird year, went and searched about half an hour south of the cities a couple days ago and found nothing but tiny little pencil erasers. Went searching today right in the cities and found 8 lbs between us all high up on south facing hills. With all of this cool weather the real key right now is to find south facing hills and search the top half of them. I found a couple patches today that had already gone bad and some of my regular spots have barely sprouted or are just tiny still. Haven't found a single one large enough to pick anywhere but those south facing hills.