Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Please do tell where you saw this? Any proof -- pic with date on receipt or newspaper?? I imagine it's possible as micro-climates can make all the difference. I'm in PA and don't want to get too excited just yet! :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture, but no date on it. Friends family who's land we hunt on found them, they wouldnt lie to us. The day they found them it was 78 degrees out. Ross county, Ohio. We have been experiencing crazy weather in Ohio, shattering record highs for the last month. Trees are budding out weeks ahead of schedule.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks heathens! It is a crazy year already with the unseasonable warmth. Experiencing the same thing here in SW PA. Checked to see where Ross County is; just a bit south of Franklin County. My MIL lives there so an early trip may be in order. Getting to know the state parks in her area. Some nice metro parks but their rules prohibit mushroom picking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They were found in southern part of Ross county, about two hours south of Columbus. I actually live just east of Columbus. Yea metro parks are a no go unfortunately. I havent heard anything else since then. Still about a couple of weeks from when we usually start finding them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@ heathens -- March 5th find reported in Lancaster, OH -- pretty close to you if east of Columbus?? Seems KY is finding them more consistently . . .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep Lancaster is pretty close, a little south of me. This cold spell we are in right now should slow everything down (hopefully!).

·
Registered
126 Posts
I wish that were good news. This winter/spring is a reflection of what went wrong last year, worst year by far I've had in a long time. Never good to start finding shrooms in march. Been my experience, once the blacks get started and an extended cold spell hits, they won't fruit worth a darn, even after it warms back up....gonna keep my fingers crossed for south central ohio.

·
Registered
127 Posts
thunter, I hope you are wrong about your prediction but I too am concerned and have in the past seen the ill effects of finding morels too early. However, I think those seasons were a bust because we incurred higher than normal temps that blew the ground temps right through the range needed to fruit the morels. I found 25 blacks in north central and central KY 3/3-3/10/17 which is 13 days earlier than I have ever found them in 27 years of hunting. Let's hope our gut feelings are wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I concur, ricard76. I live in northeastern Kentucky and I've found mushrooms in March, in an inch of snow, with overnight temps falling below freezing without any apparent effect to the mushrooms as I watched them grow from 1/4" to maturity. I've hunted morels for 38 years and my personal experience is it's the unseasonable upper 70's and 80's that I've found to shut off the morels wherever I've hunted in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky. As long as it's been a cool and wet March/April, without any upper 70's and 80's, I've found morels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
this is the darth vader in Amanda,ohio just 9 miles west of Lancaster,ohio and about 15 miles north of ross county.nothing in my woods yet. and has been 75-76 deg out last two or three days now.i think we will get a year like last year,warm then cold.did not find them last year,and it has been hard on my apple trees two years in a row.GOOD LUCK. 3/26/2017

·
Registered
126 Posts
The best seasons for blacks are the one's that take their time to heat up for sure. The longer the ground temps can stay in that range at which they will fruit, the better and too much heat too soon will cut it short. I know blacks can handle the cold. I have marked shrooms and re-visited after a week of temps that were dropping into the 30's at night and they pushed on through it. Growth is very slow when it gets that cold, but they can manage it, but just like heat can put a stop to fruiting, so can severe cold temps after blacks have gotten started. Blacks can handle the cold, but when the temps drop out of the bottom of that range, for an extended period of time, like it did last season, it doesn't do any good either. Last year mid to late march warmed up enough to get things started and the first two, maybe even three weeks of april brought terribly cold weather. When it finally warmed back up, it was too little, too late. That's why I was concerned to see reports of blacks being spotted so soon, because we had a handful of nights in the 20's following that. Wasn't a long stretch of cold like last season, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and the 10 day looks very good coming up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm from the Cincinnati area, close to the KY border. No luck in 4 locations I've walked over the last few weeks. KY is finding a lot of blacks, and oysters. Hoping to get out today and have a look. I'm originally from northern OH, Lake Erie. This is my first year hunting this area. No one around here seems to even have heard of mushroom hunting. So, it's all new territory for me to be searching.

·
Registered
16 Posts
jharrisbrand, I'm in the Cincinnati area too. I wasted a lot of time looking for morels around here. This area is very different from the surrounding counties. Shrooms can pop 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after our neighbors. My best success has been in low lying areas, near creek beds. Look for Sycamores and big Elms. I know it's easier said than done, but I suggest getting to know someone with land. There are a lot of small farms and orchards around with woods. There are several state properties within an hour of Cinci in KY, IN and Ohio. I know that Caesar Creek and East Fork Lake have morels, and Southern Indiana can be a gold mine.

Welcome to the area, and good luck out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for the help! I rummaged about the woods on the outskirts of the Cincinnati Nature Preserve today. No luck. Ill be checking out some of your suggestions-thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
The state has closed Morel hunting this year due to 2 horrible years.So they feel they need more years to recuperate.This may be in effect for the foreseeable future.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts