Southwest Iowa

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by swi shroomer, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ambernichole1212

ambernichole1212 Morel Enthusiast

I found some today, not many but they are starting to come up. I am from Burlington, Iowa!
    http://gyazo.com/1621a7bfe844c5e26a0011a64284287a

2. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

cindyloo, I doubt I will be up your way before you leave. The hot spots are still south of you a ways. Surprising the difference a hundred miles makes. If you can find some public bottoms, or south slopes, about 50 miles south of CB you should have a good shot.

3. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Found about 100, pretty much under one tree, a place where I have found my first morels without fail every year for roughly two decades. Within 100 feet (+/-) anyways. Hoping they'll be more widespread this weekend, and I think they will be. Awesome rains. The morels were fresh as could be. Gonna go again Friday. Can't wait. And I might not as it's possible I'll go again tomorrow night. Hard to stay away when you know they are popping. Gotta make hay while the sun's shining.

4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SW. I assume you were in your usual haunts close to the border? I am making my first trip north soon. Don't know how far, depends on how things are going. Like all plans they tend to fall apart and you have to improvise. Got any basic infor. to make life easier. I have always found your info. some of the most accurate and intelligent on this board. Sounds like your last find has you pumped on a good year.

5. swi shroomer

KB, thanks, same to you. I'd say if I didn't know exactly where to look, I wouldn't have found the ones I found. And, yes, the same old haunts. The mushrooms weren't microscopic or pinky size, but they weren't 3 inches, either. Between 1 and 2 inches but not easy to see if you were just casually walking by. I'd looked at a lot of similar areas but it was only in this one isolated place I found any. It still blows my mind how this area unfolds in nearly the same way every year. It's uncanny. I sort of think I know why, but not really. I've thought about it a lot. Guess it's all part of the fun. Anyway, I can't see as good as I used to and I'm still finding my morel eyes, making that adjustment, so it's possible I'm missing some but I kind of don't think so because I've been checking the same spots repeatedly. It's possible someone else is getting them but I also don't think that's the case. The morels were basically on a south-facing area on both the flat and a slight slope and in grass. Just starting to go. I'll post again after my next hunt. Best to you and everyone!

6. swi shroomer

Pretty much full sunlight and close to the fence line, I should add.

7. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

thanks SW. Good pickings.

8. turtle power

turtle power Young Morel

found around 30 yellow and greys today in the river bottom. 1 1/2" was the biggest. they're up just still really small.

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Hope those bottoms blow up like the last couple years Turtle. The only good thing to come out of the governments Project: Flood The Land a few years ago. If we could move everyone out of the bottoms the gov. could do that every few years to help us out.

10. swi shroomer

A week in and a season that was supposed to be just starting seems as if it's about over. Just the feeling I had all day. So dry even after the rains of last week. I'm finding morels, don't get me wrong -- still mostly greys and an occasional 3-inch yellow -- but not in the numbers I've been accustomed to most years. As always, rains would sure help. The season doesn't appear as if it's going to be that great. Time will tell. There's always hope where morels are concerned, and I hope I'm misreading what's going on where I look. Fun to hunt obviously, yet a little disconcerting. Good hunting to all!

11. swi shroomer

Good night of hunting, though it's definitely getting toward the end, I think. Thursday's rains should bring on another flush. Had one of those nights where you look at an area and think, "That looks good" and there'd often be morels in that spot. Found maybe four pounds, some on the dry side but none too far gone. Found some big ones in the tall grass (5-inch yellows), which are maybe the ones I like finding best besides major clusters of yellows. Tomorrow's 90-degree heat is obviously not what we need. Hoping for another good day Friday or Saturday. Gotta make hay while the sun's shining. Good luck all!

12. thereaper

thereaper Morel Enthusiast

Sounds like I need to start looking in the tall grass. I walked probably 3-4 miles of Missouri River bottom by CB on Monday and found 8.. 4 grays and 4 small yellows. Getting damn frustrating usually they are all over.

13. swi shroomer

I'm definitely finding some and enjoying the hunt but the numbers are way down. Found maybe 30 or so tonight, most in the 2- to 3-inch range. One of my late areas is wanting to get going (I found four whites there), while another perennial producer doesn't look like it will go this year at all. I have my doubts if it'll be as nice a flush as I've enjoyed the past two years in the first place mentioned. I found more than 200 one night in that very place in the long ago. A memorable "They're everywhere" experience and one I'd love to repeat. Anyway, both of these spots were much stronger producers 20 years ago. It's been interesting, and a little depressing if you want to know the truth, to watch this area go through various subtle changes through the years. Raining there now, so I'm hoping for at least one more good night of hunting there.

14. swi shroomer

Found about 40 this afternoon. Feels late, though I found some freshly popped ones and a few that were too far gone. Nice four-pack cluster of 3-inchers by a dead elm hiding on a 2:1 slope under a sticker bush. Got scratched up a little getting it out of there! I'll probably go one more time to my spot early next week. Sunday's rains could prolong the season awhile. I'm pooped after all of this extra exercise, walking the woods after work. I am in my early 50s. I don't remember being this stiff and exhausted at the end of morel season in my 30s. Go figure. Just glad I can still do it.

15. swi shroomer

Had a great evening in the woods. Didn't get started until 6 pm and still found between 5 and 7 pounds. I'd note that I'm not good at estimating weight but it was a solid night of picking to be sure. Finding a few 5-inchers. Most looked blonde and were super fat. Many had burn spots at the very top of the cap but there were also many that were as fresh as can be. Found quite a few big ones hiding in the tall grass on the tree lines at the fences. It's definitely LATE season where I look. Most likely I'll go again tomorrow or the next day.

16. swi shroomer

The season continues apace in southwest Iowa. I was finding fresh blondes tonight, 3 to 4 inches tall. Nice ones. Found about 3/4 of a Wal-Mart bag. Great night. A few too far gone, but not many of those. Gonna have to go back as I have a lot more places to check that I just haven't had time for. Weird season. The latest I've ever found morels is Memorial Day weekend, I believe in the flood year of 1993. None of those were edible, as I recall. Good luck, everyone.

17. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

Hey SWI Shroomer! Glad to see your having a good year from the sounds of it lol... This is only my second year hunting and must say i have a lot to learn lol. Last year I found 20 morels total and got lucky with 35 this year! I found the 35 the very first day l looked this year witch was the last week of April, went out at least a dozen times after and only found 3 along with easily a couple 100 ticks... I live in lee summit MO about 200 miles south of De Moines. I turn 27 on Sunday and for my bday I talked my fiancé into driving to Iowa to see if I might have better luck that away. I planed on heading towards Derby/Woodburn area to the Stephens state forest. By no means would I ask a shroomer to tell me where a honey hole is but can you give me any advice as if I heading the wrong way or a area I might have better luck? Not knowing that area i would hope to come back with the best odds possible. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am pretty excited about the trip wether I come up empty handed or strike big... A 4 year old and 2 year old stopped me from doing things like this lol. Thanks

18. swi shroomer

NewB: You might try Waubonsie State Park near Sidney, Iowa, on Hwy. 2. I've heard people do good there. I don't know for sure. Good luck. Persistence helps a lot. Have a great birthday!

19. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

Awesome thanks for the advice! I see the Kansas river isn't to far out of the way of that area either... So can always look around the park doesn't pay off. About how much longer would you say is left in the season in the southern parts of Iowa? Maybe another week?

20. newb87

newb87 Morel Connoisseur

And I will be sure to! More so if I have some morels I can cook up on my bday lol...