Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

southwest va finds 2018

10K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  barndog 
#1 · (Edited)
jump on here and let me know when yall find em

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
I've been finding them in Montgomery Co. since 4/17. A few cold nights (30°) did stunt the growth of the few I had already found, but I have since seen new ones come up in the same patches.

Yesterday was my best day so far, lots of new growth from the rain. Found about 20 new ones. I'm @ ~2100ft. I think the next few days should be great.

#13 ·
I was in Walmart today and checked the laundry section for mesh bags. They had the lingerie bag on clearance for $1 and the pop up laundry bag is normally priced $2. The pop up bag is probably too big to carry in the woods(though I wish I needed one that big). The lingerie bag looks to be perfect.

I do have to say that I don't really believe in the mesh bag theory. If it worked, the paths I have walked in and out of for the last 40 years should be loaded with merkels. I even take the water I clean them up in and dump in the woods, nothing. Mesh bags also get hung up in briars and brush easily.

Attachments

#16 ·
I am in Wise Co. at 2600 ft. and we got another heavy frost last night with a prediction of another tonight. I can’t help but to think that this season is a wash for my area. This is a real heartbreaker because I’ve found less than two dozen this year. Been here most of my life and I have never seen a season remotely close to this.

#17 ·
Don't give up hope. I walked a long way this morning and only found about 20. Then, BOOM, I walked thru a little area I never walked thru before and there was this patch. About 3lb of giant Merkels in a 20ft square area. Enough to fill up my $1 lingerie bag.

Attachments

#22 ·
I am still finding them but they are starting to look old. If it rains this weekend maybe we will have one more sprout.

More Merkel Pizza on the way!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.