southwest va finds 2018

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by shaggyxblanton, Mar 24, 2018.

1. shaggyxblanton

shaggyxblanton Morel Enthusiast

jump on here and let me know when yall find em

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  2. WKU77

WKU77 Morel Enthusiast

Son & I going tomorrow after the big rain tonight, possible thunder also ....with warm temps (both day/night, it's possible to find a small mess. Will let you know Monday...Happy Huntn!

3. WKU77

WKU77 Morel Enthusiast

Nothing going on, Son alittle disappointed but understands the weather thing w/ morels. He is going back Tuesday but the forecast isn't looking good for us in Alleghany County for another week or so.

4. WKU77

WKU77 Morel Enthusiast

We went yesterday and found 11 keepers, going back this afternoon to go over picked area and finish the remaining area we didn't get to yesterday

AmptK9 likes this.
  5. WKU77

WKU77 Morel Enthusiast

Been busy @ work, but went out Wednesday Afternoon and found another 14, son and I fried them up last night .... Lordy they were tasty. Should be big and popping this weekend, Happy Huntn Va!

6. Viper

Viper Young Morel

Looked over my hot spots today and found a total of 6. In a normal year I would have found several dozens. I’m thinking the crazy late cold fronts and heavy frosts have stolen this year away from us. I HOPE I AM WRONG!!!!

7. barndog

barndog Morel Connoisseur

I found about 30 white ones in Giles today. From the looks of the woods the blacks have come and gone. This late cold may make for a bad season???

Attached Files:

8. rutnbuck

rutnbuck Morel Enthusiast

Barndog, can you tell me at what elevation your finding them... Me and my dad are coming down this Friday and be in the Bent Mountain area and it's like 2,600 and I'm hoping we are not too early.

9. barndog

I would guess about 2300-2500. Dublin airport is 2100.

I went back this evening to another area and found an amazing patch of big white ones. They all looked new and I didn't find any old ones.

Attached Files:

Cwanders and (deleted member) like this.
  10. rutnbuck

rutnbuck Morel Enthusiast

Thanks barndog, that is giving me some hope that our timing will be good if you are getting on them now at that elevation.

11. josh

josh Morel Enthusiast

I've been finding them in Montgomery Co. since 4/17. A few cold nights (30°) did stunt the growth of the few I had already found, but I have since seen new ones come up in the same patches.

Yesterday was my best day so far, lots of new growth from the rain. Found about 20 new ones. I'm @ ~2100ft. I think the next few days should be great.

12. barndog

I went back out today in the Wolf Creek area and started out high and worked my way down to creek level. Didn't find anything until I got to the lower elevations. 2lb 3oz. These are big for Wolf Creek.

Attached Files:

Bixahscheesah likes this.
  13. barndog

I was in Walmart today and checked the laundry section for mesh bags. They had the lingerie bag on clearance for $1 and the pop up laundry bag is normally priced $2. The pop up bag is probably too big to carry in the woods(though I wish I needed one that big). The lingerie bag looks to be perfect.

I do have to say that I don't really believe in the mesh bag theory. If it worked, the paths I have walked in and out of for the last 40 years should be loaded with merkels. I even take the water I clean them up in and dump in the woods, nothing. Mesh bags also get hung up in briars and brush easily.

Attached Files:

14. Bixahscheesah

Bixahscheesah Morel Enthusiast

I found 5 this morning in SW Giles county, 1 small black and 4 yellows, first for this year.

15. barndog

MMM.....Merkel Pizza!

Attached Files:

16. Viper

Viper Young Morel

I am in Wise Co. at 2600 ft. and we got another heavy frost last night with a prediction of another tonight. I can’t help but to think that this season is a wash for my area. This is a real heartbreaker because I’ve found less than two dozen this year. Been here most of my life and I have never seen a season remotely close to this.

17. barndog

Don't give up hope. I walked a long way this morning and only found about 20. Then, BOOM, I walked thru a little area I never walked thru before and there was this patch. About 3lb of giant Merkels in a 20ft square area. Enough to fill up my $1 lingerie bag.

Attached Files:

Viper likes this.
  18. Viper

Viper Young Morel

I’m glad to see that someone is finding some. That might be just enough motivation for me to go look lower in the hollers this evening. If I do I will post my findings.....or the lack of :(
    Nice bunch of shrooms!!!

19. barndog

If you are not finding old ones I would keep on looking. The season is really late.

20. TonyaC

TonyaC Young Morel

Dollar Tree has mesh lingerie bags with zippers in a pack of 3 for $1, been using them for years!