Southwestern corner of Pa.

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by morel4ever, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bktahoe516

bktahoe516 Morel Enthusiast

not a 1, in our usual spots, but when you do find them! Keep looking they are there...

2. steelernation

steelernation Morel Connoisseur

Hey Leeway, just for the safety of your morels, you should take care of disclosing locations of your hunting areas. Where you describe is within 10 minutes of me, but being an upstanding morel hunter, I won't go there to become a "champion morel Steeler." Sounds like you did very nicely, so enjoy!

3. steelernation

Finally got a reasonable haul yesterday, though all but five came from one area, and I am yet to find one of those great trees that I hear tell of with 5# of morels around it. But 95 yellows & grays is a good day, my best so far in 4 years of hunting.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  4. thenatureboy

thenatureboy Morel Enthusiast

5 lbs grays n yellows few blacks i dont think my same pic of these uploaded idk lemmie know found under 1 tree in a spot ive been shaking spores in raking leaves at for 5 years keeps getting more n more loaded
    [​IMG]

5. thenatureboy

[​IMG]

6. thenatureboy

[​IMG]

7. thenatureboy

got it figured out ;D GL HUNTIN
    [​IMG]

8. thenatureboy

Found today
    [​IMG]

9. thenatureboy

Just went out on a little hike at sunrise all i gotta say is there back n bigger then before we had rain last two days in my spots in westmoreland i found six yellows size of a pop can fresh as fresh could be! Also ran into a bobcat that was slurking through the woods would of kept picking but i had to be back to watch my 5 n 2 1/2 year old. Cant wait to go back out this afternoon. Hope everyone finds fresh ones that there spots.

10. morelsxs

morelsxs Morel Connoisseur

I took a short jaunt this morning, too. Found 14 nice fresh yellows and 1 that was a little burned by the sun. They weren't there 5 days ago so the rain really helped. While they were nice, they weren't the size of a pop can! Anxious to check some of my closer spots but that won't be 'til tomorrow or Friday. Hoping we still have a week+ left here in SW PA.

Good luck everyone!

11. bktahoe516

bktahoe516 Morel Enthusiast

Today was a good day, rain helped need more still dry! Found 34 mixed yellow and greys, nice sized. Found most in old apples orchards....

12. backwoodschic

backwoodschic Young Morel

I have found 4 lbs as of yesterday. Went out before dusk last night and saw the weeds were tramped down in one of my spots. Like someone else was looking. If that's the case they did a horrible job I found 6 big morels. Near a dairy farm that borders part of game lands.

13. jpv1125

jpv1125 Morel Enthusiast

15 yellows in western pa thank you rain gods got them this morning a few where some what dry but not a bad snack!!

14. steelernation

Is anyone still finding them in Washington County?

15. acunit421

acunit421 Young Morel

I'm from Washington Pa trying to meet up with some veteran pickers so I can learn the ropes!