Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family and I are considering driving to mammoth cave to hunt morel mushrooms. It isn't a short drive, and if we are going to go I would like to have a good chance of at least finding a few morels. I heard mammoth cave is good for hunting, but does anyone know of a particular locations/regions of the park. Also, is mammoth cave known for yellow or black morels?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Luciemae99, My wife & I found @ 20-25 1 to 2 inch blacks today on our farm which is in Hart county 1 mile from Mammoth Cave Natl Park. The blacks just started showing in this area this weekend and it should be good hunting over the next 2-3 weeks. The smaller yellows/whites/greys should start in 2-3 weeks depending g upon the weather. The big yellows will start @ the 1st of May. You can find all of these in the Park. Concentrate your efforts on east and north facing hillsides that have primarily a hickory/poplar mix for the blacks and the small yellows/whites/greys. If you are going to be there when the big yellows come in, you need to hunt the creek or river bottoms or cedar groves away from the bottoms.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The rangers used to provide you with mess bags at the Mammoth Cave Natl Park visitors centers. But I believe any mesh bag is acceptable. Also, in the past the Park had a limit of 1 gallon of morels per person. You may want to check by calling the visitors center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.