1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Spring 2017 - mid/lower Hudson valley

Discussion in 'New York' started by doubleofosiris, Apr 5, 2017.

1. doubleofosiris

doubleofosiris Young Morel

Hi, we have another month to wait, but we can start our records for 2017 here. Thanks

Melissa Wright likes this.
  2. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

I'm hoping to find my first blacks (angusticeps) in about two weeks if this weather holds. Well, I actually HOPE to find them in a week, but that's probably not realistic :) Once we start to get some appreciable green on the trees, I'll check my spot for blacks and half-frees.

3. Melissa Wright

Melissa Wright Young Morel

Where are you located in the Hudson Valley, I didn't realize that we had morels its been YEARS since I've had any.

4. spanielmander

spanielmander Morel Enthusiast

I hunt between the Catskills and the Hudson River. They're all over the state, though I'm sure some areas are better than others. There are lots of resources online that can give you a good lead on where to look, but in my experience common indicators have been woods without much pine or maple (oak-ash-hickory are good woods) and a healthy community of groundcover plants. You probably won't find in woods that are just leaves on the forest floor. Soil is important- it's good to hunt in moderately sandy, loose soil, as from glacial till, but with a good amount of organic material mixed in. And like I said, lots of good info online. Limestone bedrock and outcrops work as an indicator for me too, but not necessary

5. doubleofosiris

doubleofosiris Young Morel

I have a few spots across the valley, beacon, poughquag, fahnstock, ulster