1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

St. Joseph Morels

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by kb, Apr 20, 2014.

1. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Come on where are all those great morel hunters in the area? Surely some of you guys are finding something after the weekend. I picked a pound in town last Friday morning in one spot, about thumb size. Next weekend is going to be great, a little more rain would be nice. I was just south of the Iowa line in North Central Mo today. It's going to be a week to ten days up that way. I always tell people what a great morel town St. Joe is. By the way I have 8 pounds to sell from down south I picked Saturday if anyone is interested. $25 261-0112

2. chapadap

chapadap Young Morel

I usually hunt around Amazonia. Gonna give it about three days.

3. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Sorry the morels are gone. Going out to get more.

4. sharpie

sharpie Young Morel

I went out today and found 3. They were all around an inch and a half tall. Im a newbie to this site, so dont know how to post a pic. Found mine in the river bottoms. Any body else doing any good in St. Joe?

5. philmyer85

philmyer85 Morel Enthusiast

Several finds in our area throughout Buchanan/Atchison county, no motherloads at the moment but I'll post some hopefully tomorrow afternoon ;)

6. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Leave the tiny ones folks. I remember about a decade ago, L. Paden said "someday you won't be able to pick a morel big enough to eat if these dummies don't stop pickin the tiny ones", or something close to that. I took a hundred mile tour of the local early morel hot spots today. Lots of people had tiny morels in their bags, no size... Who knows how many got stomped on. By the way I left clusters of tinies on a blown over cottonwood, only three out of many were big enough to pick. If I don't get back to that spot by FRI. somebody on the board remind me and I will tell you where to go get them. Be a good tree to take your kids or wife to. If some dummy does not pick them to little first. Just my opinion folks, I have lots of them, my wife says most are useless.

7. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

KB, I'll be checking my early spots in southwest Iowa mid-week and post a report on the Iowa board. A friend showed me a pic of a nice mess of 1-inch to 2-inch greys in clusters a friend of his found on river bottom land near Missouri Valley, Iowa. They looked nice and fresh! The mid-week rains forecast for here are needed and timely. Maybe even more rain this weekend. Hoping for a great year.

8. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

SWI, great to hear from you. I would love any info. you can share. If you plan on coming south let me know and I can make some suggestions. My trips to your great state are one of the highlights of my picking year. I stunk in the hills last year, but the bottoms more than made up for it. I hope they get that rain. I picked about 2 Lbs in the bottoms by town today. No size. Many to little to pick. Hills are just coming alive. If you want to share some specific infor., or need some without the entire midwest watching here is my cell. 816-261-0112

9. swi shroomer

swi shroomer Morel Connoisseur

Thanks, KB. Very generous of you. I went to my early area tonight and didn't find any. I wasn't really expecting to but I just couldn't stay away. You know how that goes. Seeing my old, familar spots after a year away from there was a nice feeling even though I got skunked. It seemed pretty dry and not quite right, the undergrowth just isn't there yet. The hills are just coming alive as you put it. Good to hear your season is starting to take off! I won't be able to check again until Sunday it looks like. I had a short but decent season a year ago in the relatively small area I hunt. Hoping to do at least as good this year. Unfortunately, work has gotten busier at the worst possible time, which might limit my time in the woods. I'll stay in touch. Thanks for all your great info.

10. chapadap

chapadap Young Morel

11. taterqueen913

taterqueen913 Morel Enthusiast

My friend and I went out after noon yesterday (Friday the25th) and didn't come home until dark. Had around 8 lbs. We split it 50/50. We were in the bluffs 59 hwy area. Did find alot in grassy areas also that we don't usually find them. Quite a few clumps together this year--who doesn't love that? smaller grays w/the bigger more yellow near by and fresh, fresh, fresh,. Got a little warmish but was so worth the sweat! Feelin' the burn today though. Just was surprised not more had posted about finding them. Hopefully because everyone is too busy finding them to post. I love a great year. We met up with an older hunter that had filled a walmart size sack as well so I know we weren't the only ones striking ''gold''. :) Just wanted to pass the word. yesterday was perfect. All the places we were, and only 2 ticks and non attached so that wasn't too bad. And this year had also found some already in my own lawn. I've lived same place for many many years and rarely had found them, had found multiple ones this year already. That was on Tues the 22nd.

12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Great job Tater, Most people go buy them Tater; which is fine, we get to pick more. Took a long road trip with a friend today. Hoping to get the mother load as always. Usually your either a hero or a zero on these things. We did not get anywhere close to a mother load, maybe 4 lbs. But we shared a few laughs, explored some new spots, and wasted alot of gas. The season is just getting started in N. Mo,.the next 10 days should be great if it stays cool.

13. nwmoshroomer

nwmoshroomer Morel Enthusiast

Had hoped that you guys in the St. Joe area would be finding nice hauls this weekend. I usually hunt around the Bethany area and took a lot of time off this next week. Will see what the storms bring tonight, hopefully no major flooding. Best of luck!!

14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

nwmo,, your timing is fine. Most just are not looking yet. My 83 year old dad, after a 2 year forced break, went with me and picked about 2 lbs in about an hour. He still has the eye. Unfortunately his size 14 boots crushed a few babies before I could stop him. We lost mom last year and that was about the happiest I had seem him in a long time. Hope you all fill your sacks to.

15. nwmoshroomer

Glad to hear your dad enjoyed himself. I'm heading to the timber in the morning. Will post when I find. Best of luck !!

16. lolyoumadbrah

lolyoumadbrah Young Morel

Went out to sunbridge around noon today found less than a pound but got some good exercise! :lol:

17. nwmoshroomer

Went out yesterday for about 4 hours. Found 15 that was large enough to harvest. Largest was 4". We had been pretty dry up until the storms on Sunday, so hopefully they'll get started now. Good luck!

18. taterqueen913

taterqueen913 Morel Enthusiast

We were more toward between Rushville and Atchison area off of the 59 highway bluffs area, but we did find another 9-10 pounds Monday. So I'm happy as can be for this season. I never have this much ''luck'. or maybe all these years we'd been hitting our spot too early or too late, either way, I'm not complaining!
    My partner went out today, we'll see if they find any more. I wasn't into the wet with the cold wind too much today.
    two more in my own lawn as well. you can't beat finding them steps from your back door. :)
    Good luck to all! (i'm a pickin' and I'm a "grinnin''). Question-- has anybody really had success freezing any? I'm afraid to--just feel like I can't ''waste'' them if I mess it up.

19. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Way to go St. Joe! I tell folks we live at the nexus of the midwest morel world. I can drive any direction 200 miles and pick morels, or drive 5 minutes and pick anyway.. Tater sounds like you are having a lot of fun.. roll those extras in whatever you use to cook them, half cook them, and then freeze them. Then cook them the rest of the way as needed. Maybe someone else has a better way, but that has worked for me. If you freeze them uncooked it will ruin them. These cold temps. keep those morels fresh out there, the ones I pick this evening were grade A. NW. What size were you getting up north?

20. nwmoshroomer

2 to 4". Only 1 spot of the 5 that I hunted had small mushrooms that I'd seen. I went to 2 spots yesterday and checked and nothing. Haven't decided if I'm going out today or wait and go Sunday. Good luck!!