St louis area morel finds

Discussion in 'Missouri' started by woodsman1, Apr 2, 2015.

1. woodsman1

woodsman1 Morel Connoisseur

Well morel season almost upon us fellow hunters. Ur this post for your updates an finds. Lady yr I pulled around 65 pounds. Was a great year. Hoping this yr to be better. We had a lot more moisture this yr. I've had the itch for a while however I've been able to tame it with the last 2 jars I have dehydrated from last year. Fried some up last nite on a steak with some onions an pepper. yummmm. Well hunters good luck to everyone this year. If anyone wants to do some hunting together let me no. Always love hunting with true hunters

2. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

I'm down to hunt. I will be hitting Busch, confluence, and a lot of public lands in North county.

3. woodsman1

Sounds good. I'm in illinois near bethalto. Most of my private hunting areas are on my side of river but have been checking out some spots on ur side. Maybe we can meet up an hit some new areas together. I'm a business owner so I like to do most of my hunting during the days when most people are at work. I'm usually in the woods as soon as sun comes up. Let me no if your interested in hitting the woods together. When the season starts. I no it's still early. Next week weather looks great after this incoming rain. I predict next weekend they should be starting. I'm Gona start hitting the woods Monday looking for the blacks that pop early

4. woodsman1

Went out again today. Still nothing as figured but getting close. This week will be prime w rain an temps. Next weekend is still my prediction. Did come across 2 snakes an couple turtles. May apples about 3-4 inches tall on southern hills

5. lagerhead

lagerhead Morel Enthusiast

Went out today Eastern Jefferson County saw some reds starting to grow. Plants looking good ticks are definitely out but no morels yet either.

6. mushroommon

mushroommon Young Morel

Found a handful of morels this weekend in St.Charles County on creek banks. Biggest one was around an inch and smallest was the size of a match tip lol. Just now poppin, we need rain and sunshine, but it is progress!

7. woodsman1

Still nothing went today for few hrs. It's working up to be a great year. I can feel it. Been itching so bad I've been eating my last bit of dehydrated ome from last year almost every night. Ready for some fresh ones

8. lagerhead

Walked by a couple good sized reds today. Gotta be soon.

9. shroomdawg

shroomdawg Morel Connoisseur

We should see some shrooms worth hunting in the next 3-5 days around KC. I figure we's about 7 days early this year.

10. twig-n-berries

twig-n-berries Morel Enthusiast

Greys are here boys look on south hills and south edge of wood lines..

11. mozeta

mozeta Morel Enthusiast

There is no year in the thread title, but I assume people are using this for St. Louis area finds for 2015. Anyway, I went out for about an hour today in South St. Louis County and found 1 grey and one yellow both about 3" tall. I was in the middle of the woods on top of a hill, maybe even slightly North East facing, but it was still getting plenty of sunshine. They were both very fresh.

12. morelmaniac78

morelmaniac78 Morel Enthusiast

Anyone finding any good amounts yet?

13. joemoris

joemoris Morel Enthusiast

went out for 20 minutes, almost got a pound. There was easy 4 Lbs in the spot, just didn't have time to really search. Going tomorrow evening and then Tues morning. Email me by removing & from email joe&moris@yahoo&.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  14. blarneystone

blarneystone Morel Enthusiast

Found this little guy at my in town Ash Tree Saturday. Looked in the woods Friday and didn't find a thing.
    [​IMG]

15. blt4ever

blt4ever Young Morel

Got out to west stl county for about an hr and a half monday evening, found enough to make a wonderful morel pizza for dinner. Most were found on the edges of a clearing, some under the scattered trees in the clearing, all near dying elms

16. elitenaut

elitenaut Morel Enthusiast

Found these today near the meramac and mississippi rivers. Had to jog ahead of a couple hunters when they left the trail LOL. Almost two pounds.

17. elitenaut

[​IMG]

18. lagerhead

Nice! Found about a pound myself. Eastern Jefferson County. Same spot as last year right behind my parents house around cedar trees, rocky as heck. Weird area.

19. mushroom jake

mushroom jake Morel Enthusiast

Elitenaut, did they seem to be hitting on certain trees?

20. elitenaut

Hard question to answer but kinda. I've been hitting some of my places for 7 years straight and know exactly which tree's they grow on over a 10mile span of woods. There is a ton of small elms and maples in the area's but they didnt seem to mind which tree's they were growing near if that helps.