Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! Man, it looks like our state is about the only one not getting hammered by this Arctic Blast! It was sunny and 68 degrees today; Unfortunately we are once again in a drought situation with less than half normal rainfall which won't be good for shrooms. With that said, I have ran across a few so I thought Id post some photos for you-all.
I'm really looking forward to Morel season! I hope Wade, Kokomorel, SB and ya'll are weathering out the cold OK!
The photos are of some Blewits (Clitocybe nuda) and a few Boletes (actually Slippery Jacks). DSC_0243.jpg close-up 1.jpg close-up 2.jpg DSC_0261.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Hey Everyone! Man, it looks like our state is about the only one not getting hammered by this Arctic Blast! It was sunny and 68 degrees today; Unfortunately we are once again in a drought situation with less than half normal rainfall which won't be good for shrooms. With that said, I have ran across a few so I thought Id post some photos for you-all.
I'm really looking forward to Morel season! I hope Wade, Kokomorel, SB and ya'll are weathering out the cold OK!
The photos are of some Blewits (Clitocybe nuda) and a few Boletes (actually Slippery Jacks). View attachment 36950 View attachment 36952 View attachment 36953 View attachment 36951
@jdaniels313 and Everyone..Hey Brother Jay...
Wade here ..We have a 10 inch blanket of Snow ❄ its a Good Thing..weather man says back up above freezing for Next 5 days so some of this snow will melt off...I'm just staying warm, Robinbluebird and Me been keeping our basement woodstove burning 🔥24/7 since Christmas 🎄 we still have bout 5 Rick of wood 🪵 that should get us through until Our April Morels start Popp'n 🍄❤

·
Registered
368 Posts
The photos are of some Blewits (Clitocybe nuda) and a few Boletes (actually Slippery Jacks). View attachment 36950 View attachment 36952 View attachment 36953 View attachment 36951
Went to the lake house yesterday 10 inches of ice on the lake and almost that much on the house
163D3E60-F62A-42DA-B8DE-8CC892EF6E58.jpeg
0C89E381-1215-4B1E-B59F-91F3CE3A0335.jpeg
3E598052-EC5B-4EF2-B5DD-FFFE6BB38F73.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a question about some Morels that popped up recently out of a large batch of wood chip recently put in. How best to pick them or leave them so they return next year??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
1,966 Posts
Had a question about some Morels that popped up recently out of a large batch of wood chip recently put in. How best to pick them or leave them so they return next year??

Thanks in advance for any advice. View attachment 36961
Howdy @AaronP ...And Everyone
Wade here... I think I would just let them Grow and complete their Natural cycle undisturbed.
Also the Much they are growing from may not be completely Organic..
Still; wherever you bought that mulch perhaps you should get more of the same and spread a shovel full every 10' feet around your whole property.
Just let them grow and die and fall over.. they know what to do..and leave some alone every year like that..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Howdy @AaronP ...And Everyone
Wade here... I think I would just let them Grow and complete their Natural cycle undisturbed.
Also the Much they are growing from may not be completely Organic..
Still; wherever you bought that mulch perhaps you should get more of the same and spread a shovel full every 10' feet around your whole property.
Just let them grow and die and fall over.. they know what to do..and leave some alone every year like that..
Thanks, I picked enough for an omelette and left the rest. it was organic bagged wood chip from Armstrong. Did a massive hardscape/landscape project and spread a 100 or so cubic feet. I ended up with all kinds of different shrooms. I will add more pics to help identify.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice late season boletes! We got into some candy caps on Valentines, around 2800' in tanoak in the sierras.

Do you dry your little suillus or what?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@jdaniels313 and Everyone..Hey Brother Jay...
Wade here ..We have a 10 inch blanket of Snow ❄ its a Good Thing..weather man says back up above freezing for Next 5 days so some of this snow will melt off...I'm just staying warm, Robinbluebird and Me been keeping our basement woodstove burning 🔥24/7 since Christmas 🎄 we still have bout 5 Rick of wood 🪵 that should get us through until Our April Morels start Popp'n 🍄❤ View attachment 36956
Wade, after looking at Kokomorel's icy photos, your warm cozy stove looks much better! Glad to hear you and Robinbluebird are keepin' warm!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to the lake house yesterday 10 inches of ice on the lake and almost that much on the house View attachment 36957 View attachment 36958 View attachment 36959
OMG!! It's not just cold, but DANGEROUS cold by the looks of those icicles!! Well, I hate to rub it in, but I'm going out on a patio boat bass fishing tomorrow on Lake Shasta! I know that's kinda mean to say after looking at your photos, but I know you wouldn't blame me; its 72 degrees, a sunny day and the bass are bitin' like crazy! I'll keep you posted Kokomorel..........

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks in advance for any advice. View attachment 36961
Wow....I agree with gutterman and jashroomer! I think that is the first, and it DOES get us excited! What state are you in?

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice late season boletes! We got into some candy caps on Valentines, around 2800' in tanoak in the sierras.

Do you dry your little suillus or what?
Yes, usually. I do make a mean gourmet cream of mushroom soup from scratch with the first one of the year I find! Hey, did you get an opportunity to hunt Matsutakes up there anywhere? I didn't hear much about them in far north CA.; I'm sure the lack of rain didn't help!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I picked enough for an omelette and left the rest. it was organic bagged wood chip from Armstrong. Did a massive hardscape/landscape project and spread a 100 or so cubic feet. I ended up with all kinds of different shrooms. I will add more pics to help identify.
Man, I'd be spreading that mulch everywhere around my place! Nice photos AaronP!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow....I agree with gutterman and jashroomer! I think that is the first, and it DOES get us excited! What state are you in?
Down in Southern CA. Sherman Oaks to be exact. Up in the hills, lots of old oak trees in the canyon. Just bought 15 more bags of the wood chip. Landscaping 12,000 sf lot takes lots of supplies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts