Strange Things I've seen on the Woods While Hunting Mushrooms!!

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 19, 2019.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

guff - Yea, ya almost gotta know, to look. For me it was just plain good fortune.

To show you how rare it is to see/find them I offer the follow up anecdote.

When I got home and looked up and identified conclusively what I found, I then called the Ohio Department of Natural Resources office responsible for that geographic area. I emailed them the pictures and talked to a person there who said that he grew up as a kid along that very creek and in his youth he'd never seen them there. Not even once!

The key is knowing:
    When - April for the latitude of Southern OH
    Where - in the glassy area at the head of riffles
    How - look for the lighter colored 15 20 inch cleared circular area on the creek bottom.

Reminds me now, of how when I used to fish, I'd use polarized glasses to look for bass spawning beds.

One last one -- they were so lacking in fear, that I was able to get real close. Too close. As I experimented getting the camera closer, at one point I found I had dipped the camera lens into the clear water!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  2. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Definitely gonna be looking

2 people like this.

3. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

This morning. Baby's on Fire.

BABYS ON FIRE.jpg

beagleboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

This is not the woods but my backyard. I have a clump of pampas grass that I cut back every spring and every spring I find at least a few praying mantis cocoons. Last year I found 7. So I place them around the yard or give some away. How many praying mantis are in a cocoon? bugs 002.JPG bugs 001.JPG

5. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

redfred....that is freaking awesome!

1 person likes this.
  6. Mutley

Mutley Morel Enthusiast

This is called the hillbilly cycle, for those days that climbing the hillsides aren't enough of a workout!!

2 people like this.
  7. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Mutley - I'za thot it was fer krank'n in a really long close-line, mebe. Ya no, like fer sum1 that cudn't walk . . . er waz lazee!

Wifee calls me "billygoat" (fer my climbing 'bility) so i an't got no1 to haul me outta th raveens n'gorges.

Ah . . .you?

2011-5-(May)-1 005.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Dont bait us redfred . . . "All of them" is the answer!

seriously - Thanks for sharing the super pic. I have never seen the emergence of praying mantis from the cocoon in such numbers. Very magical!

3 people like this.
  9. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

sb, you won the prize! Now you get to host redfred on a morel hunt at one of your best spots.

2 people like this.
  10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

beagleboy - I'll take him out in mid afternoon -- after I'd already gone out to the same woods in the early morning!!

Oh yea . . . and I'll leave a few unopened bottles of beer in the woods to find. What do you think?

11. redfred

Considering the very generous prize offered I was thinking the answer should be “NONE OF THEM” or “ALL OF THEM” (or any number in between ).. we could have more then one winner...

12. redfred

I’m so glad you can’t wait to cash in on your prize...Beagle,I learned something from SB that I did not know but things are different in Ohio... Apparently the best time for me to go morel hunting in Ohio is January ...At least the beer will be cold..

13. beagleboy

beagleboy Morel Connoisseur

redfred, It probably would be the best time, from what I have seen that sb has posted on Ohio's dinner plate page in this forum. He probably would have them ready to eat. The cold beer and a big screen tv on Jan 1st watching the big ten teams (psu, Maryland, Ohio state) in bowl games talking mushrooms, doesn't get any better than that. lol

4 people like this.
  14. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

My pappy graduated from Penn State in aeronautical engineering when I was 5. We lived in Center Hall, PA. I still remember sitting on the back of the concrete 'Nittany Lion', on campus, like it was a horse!!

Me, I liked OSU here in Columbus so well I graduated twice from there. Seems like "Them Buckeyes" somehow cornered the market on "whip ass". Well, we'll see how the new coach does.

Maybe we should ask the old coach, Urban Meyer to come Morel Mushroom hunting with us.
    Our first outing will be to "my secret woods".

2 people like this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Enigmatic

These enigmatic pictures are from "my secret woods" where I find Morel Mushrooms every year.
    A Central OH woods that is very unlikely to be found by anyone other than the intrepid explorer

A subtle, round circle of leaves & detritus about 18 inches across on the forest floor?
    2009 5-(May)-9 013.jpg

Strips of bark woven and hanging on an invasive bush/tree?
    2009 10-(Oct)-29 028.jpg

A Blue Jay feather woven into a tree leaf?
    2010 08-(Aug)-9 020.jpg

An out of place childs toy?
    2013-5-(May)-4 007.jpg

A circular mini-piece of vine on a small branch stub?
    DSC00316.JPG

Dried reeds from somewhere else stuck into the soft earth as a juxtaposition?
    DSC00008.JPG
    Well, what do you think.? My immediate thought was someone's political comment.
    DSC03306.JPG

I call this special woods "My Secret Woods". I'm not going to explain how it got that name. But I invite all shroomers and woods lovers to search what that name means to them.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  16. redfred

Sb, what enigmatic things do you leave for the elves,faires, and hobbits that reside in the secret woods?

1 person likes this.
  17. redfred

Beagle, your right I could do that.

18. yocham85

yocham85 Morel Connoisseur

I think I know why the circle of loves is there. In the spring time I have came up on a few box turtles mating and every time there where in the middle of a circle of leaves, I do know if they push the leaves out while mating or to lay eggs but that's exactly the way it looks when I find them.

3 people like this.
  19. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

redfred: Just these . . .

2010 03-(Mar)-06 004.jpg

Beach 2015 017.jpg
    DSC00369.JPG
    DSC06212.JPG
    DSC06933.JPG

20. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

yocham85 - Sincere thanks for sharing your experience and enlightening me. The size of the circle fits for box turtles.

Now to figure if squirrels really know how to braid bark streamers!!? Ha!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019