Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found the little buggers. I went hiking up around Burney, CA yesterday at @ 4300-4500 elevation and they are starting to pop up really well. It was close to dark so I only picked about a pound, but at least I found the elevation. One footnote though: There were A LOT of false Morels and Fluted Black Helvellas growing all over in the same areas, so be sure you're adept at distinguishing the species apart from one another. I will still be heading to the Lake Almanor area, so I'll report back next week. (you'll need to obtain a Mushroom Permit from the ranger station at Chester if you plan to hunt them in the Plumas/Lassen County area. They are free for personal use.) Happy Shrooming!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay in replying. Unfortunately I had a health issue arise that kinda took me outta the scene for awhile. But to answer your questions: I found them right along side logging roads within a stones throw. Also, you only need a permit from the USFS at Chester for the Plumas and Lassen county areas; The only other USFS district that I know of that requires OR issues permits in far Northern CA is the Goosenest Ranger District. Now I just saw proof of Morels and Boletes at the 4500-5000 ft. level on the east side of the Mt. Shasta area. My friend had about 3-4 lbs of Morels and @ 5 lbs of Boletes that he stumbled on 8 days ago. I heard there was also luck near McCloud, which by the way, just had their annual Mushroom Festival over Memorial weekend. Sorry for the delay. I hope this info helps bring you success!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.