1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure I think it is a lobster that hasn't turned yet
Lobster mushrooms do not turn. They do however have host species that get infected by Hypomyces lactifluouorum. You may want to do some reading on the subject. This link is a good start
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hypomyces_lactifluorum.html

It's a fascinating species and if you find them in your area you are very lucky to have them. Unfortunately they don't grow in my part of southern Michigan. I enjoy their texture. They seem to hold up to all kinds of cooking and never turn to mush.

My chanterelles are growing quite nicely up here. I'm surprised yours are in the same stage of growth. I thought you would be finding huge old ones by now.

I'm also finding black trumpets. That's a new early record for me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lobster mushrooms do not turn. They do however have host species that get infected by Hypomyces lactifluouorum. You may want to do some reading on the subject. This link is a good start
http://www.mushroomexpert.com/hypomyces_lactifluorum.html

It's a fascinating species and if you find them in your area you are very lucky to have them. Unfortunately they don't grow in my part of southern Michigan. I enjoy their texture. They seem to hold up to all kinds of cooking and never turn to mush.

My chanterelles are growing quite nicely up here. I'm surprised yours are in the same stage of growth. I thought you would be finding huge old ones by now.

I'm also finding black trumpets. That's a new early record for me.
I have spots I pic all the way thru September sometimes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jmerx Thought you might know if these are true Chants. Sean you been findin them. I found them in SW Wash. Co. Mo. I've never ate them. Leaning towards False. What do you think? Brown spot on top makes me Leery.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts