Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Place to post the mixed bag of summer mushrooms. Was out for a hike with the boys and found some young just starting to grow Reishi mushrooms look to be ganoderma tsugae growing off hemlock. Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was walking the other afternoon, central PA, back in an old growth hemlock forest and saw A LOT of these guys, at various stages of development. Some pins, others fully mature fans.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey hoblershang follow some of your posts over on wildgrow.com you have some nice sang woods up your way. Always enjoy following them!! Thanks.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Barnacle that is Shang or American ginseng my true love of the woods well 2nd to whitetail lol.
Thxs trahn008 u gave me some great info on starting my own morel beds come to find out I don't need um had 150 pop up 30 ft from my house this yr. I'm having a great moreI season I'm up to 1378 that I've harvested n still going.
Back to summer shroomin black trumpets should b Poppin hear in a week or two can't wait.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Barnacle, that is a Reishi looks to be Ganoderma Tsugae because it's growing on hemlock (Tsugae is hemlock in latin) if it was growing on hardwood it would be Ganodera Lucidum. I like to harvest them when they mature and make a medical tea with them. Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hoblershang congrats on your fine morel season, nothing like picking some out your back door. Trumpets are my #1 mushroom love those little buggers. Happy Hunting!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thanks you guys, I had been wondering if there was something else to forage for after morels are done. From what I just read (google) the trumpets look like a great option for a complete novice like myself.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Barnacle follow along I'll be posting up all summer long as they fruit. Many good mushrooms to be had over the summer and fall. Have eaten over 200 wild mushrooms.. I have about 10 I really like to target and over half of those are in the summer.

Beatnik88 how do you like the chickens.. not a big fan of them, just to mild for me, but a nice filler for soups.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have yet to try one honestly. I only started mushroom hunting a few years ago and up to this point I've only harvested morels, chanterelles, and oysters. This is the first year I'll be looking for the others.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Excited for black trumpets this year as well. I randomly stumbled on a patch of about 4-5 lbs last year but let them go bad due to a custody battle taking up my time.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hoblershang I have tried to eat pheasant backs many different ways but just can't get a taste for them. Taste like watermelon rind to me.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice mycelium run on that stump could be turkey tail starting or chicken don't see any yellow yet, but time will tell.

1 - 20 of 348 Posts