Summer Mushrooms 2017

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania' started by trahn008, May 18, 2017.

1. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

I found 10 new trumpet patches today but they were all dried up and crispy just like the ones I found on Sunday. Is trumpet season over or is it like this due to lack of rain? Should I keep checking these spots ?I'm having a hard time finding online when trumpet season ends in upstate New York area.

2. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

I've found that some trumpet patches will flush multiple times throughout the season and some patches are a one and done deal. They are still fruiting here in Ct but not in numbers like back in July. Finding them in all the darker/cooler areas lately. I've gathered them while out getting hens in September so the season can go for a bit if the conditions are optimal.

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.

3. Barnacle

Good info thanks. This is my first year looking for them. I keep finding them at the edge of high trails that have steep drop offs mostly near hemlock and sometimes oak. Very little luck in washes though. It's weird I have so many seemingly perfect wash areas with nothing.

4. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

Barnacle remember those spots, I pick them when they are dry and crispy. I also find them when out hunting hens not in those wash area's but as your seeing now kind of random in the woods, but close to trails and moss.

Barnacle likes this.
  5. trahn008

I didn't have a large harvest of trumpets this year in washes. One of the problems I saw was when they fruited we got heavy rains and turned them into slime. Most of my washes I only was able to harvest trumpets on the high sides of those ditches. Picked about 1/3 of what I get other years in those washes maybe to much of a good thing isn't good (rain heavy). Happy Hunting!!

6. fungus_muncher

So you pick the dead trumpets that are dried up on the ground? I always thought they molded pretty quick.

7. Barnacle

I've heard of others picking the crispy ones also. It makes sense I guess bc we dry many of them anyway but how do we clean them? I picked a few handfuls and dropped them in other areas where I thought they might grow. Wishful thinking. Great stuff everyone, thanks.

8. trahn008

Sure do.. Not all but most have to look them over some but most times they are dried just like they come out of a dehydrator. Have picked morels that are dried perfect also, most of the cluster or main base mushrooms mold up quick, but those thinner single mushroom sometimes dry perfect in the wild.

Barnacle likes this.
  9. trahn008

I don't wet my mushrooms if drying. Most I just brush off dirt before cooking or dehydrating, when you soak them to rehydrate them they kind of get clean.

10. Barnacle

Great point!

11. Barnacle

IMG_6669.JPG IMG_6657.JPG IMG_6662.JPG IMG_6665.JPG IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6657.JPG View attachment 2995 IMG_6662.JPG IMG_6668.JPG IMG_6665.JPG IMG_6669.JPG
    Crazy how much these blend in to the background. There's at least a dozen in this frame. Anybody know what the red thing is? Some kind of fruit or nut?

3 people like this.
  12. trahn008

Acorn Plum Gall.

Barnacle likes this.
  13. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

20170817_113444.jpg 20170813_192025.jpg 20170809_203716.jpg excited for the first hericium I've found. Still no luck at all with trumpets.

14. Antiquated notions

Antiquated notions Morel Enthusiast

Ya I'm having poor luck with trumpets also. Steep trails plenty of moss oak and beech trees everywhere. This has been one of the wettest summers I can remember too. What's really strange is I found a patch in June but nothing since.... Plenty of chanterelles to make up for it though.

15. pchunter1231

pchunter1231 Morel Connoisseur

This has been the best year for me for trumpets. I picked over 5 lbs so far. I picked another pound today with alot more on the small side.

Barnacle likes this.
  16. Barnacle

IMG_6675.JPG It's been very dry over here in Saratoga NY. I did find a handful yesterday. Heavy rain all day finally today. Hope it kick starts some new ones. 5 lbs is mind boggling to me, good for you though pchunter1231! Post pics if you can I'm brand new at this and really appreciate pics of trumpets in whatever landscape they are in , as well as piles of whatever the days hunting brought.
    Beat, did you pick the hericium?

1 person likes this.
  17. Barnacle

First finds of the day. 4 Trumpets to left of my hiking pole. Good luck today!

Attached Files:

Antiquated notions likes this.
  18. fungus_muncher

IMG_4897.JPG
    Lucky dogs. Most of the ones around here begin developing this mold within 2-3 days of stopping growth. Maybe the conditions up this way are more favorable for what ever is colonizing the trumpets. I actually use the progress of the mold to determine how long ago the patch fruited.

Barnacle likes this.
  19. Barnacle

IMG_6695.JPG IMG_6696.JPG
    This one chant spot is very productive. I've picked here 3-4 times. its a great feeling walking up and seeing such a nice patch even though I know they will be buggy.

20. Barnacle

image.jpg IMG_6706.JPG IMG_6699.JPG IMG_6698.JPG Today's finds.
    Could these be oysters? On maple.
    Are the ball ones puffballs?

1 person likes this.