Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

341 - 348 of 348 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
View attachment 3021 View attachment 3022 View attachment 3023

Found a motherload of chickens just starting out. Also, came across a decent patch of yellowfoots.
Great pics beat, I would have walked right past those yellow foots not realizing what they were. The few that I found caps seemed more yellow. I think your right on the puffball variety. The spore print on those oyster looking ones was dark brown so I guess there not oysters.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_6741.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG
Is it ok to thaw uncooked frozen morels and then dehydrate them. Some of my vacuum sealed morels are getting frost inside the bags. They must have got punctured

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
Never tried it, but I wouldn't. The moisture is the killer when freezing mushrooms. I would try to eat some up and the rest I would render down in butter, put them in small bags then vac seal the smaller bags. I make my vac seal bags longer and reseal after I take out smaller bags. Been doing it this way for years and it works great. Never had any luck with just freezing mushrooms fresh.

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMG_6769.JPG
Cool thanks for the advice, I think my wife just jams stuff into the freezer not understanding she's crushing the vacuum sealed treasures inside. Maddening!!!

Yesterday's finds, were found mostly between/ around rocks.

341 - 348 of 348 Posts