Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going out to hit my first chant spot for the season! Hope it is loaded should be with all the rain and humidity we've had

·
Registered
64 Posts
Those are one of my favorites! That is a great find. We had a tornado move through NE Mo last Friday so most of our good spots have hanging trees and debris covering them. We had a tremendous amount of rain so I'm looking forward to all the different types that will start popping. Thanks for posting the pic.
I found this big hen of the woods this morning.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Those are one of my favorites! That is a great find. We had a tornado move through NE Mo last Friday so most of our good spots have hanging trees and debris covering them. We had a tremendous amount of rain so I'm looking forward to all the different types that will start popping. Thanks for posting the pic.
I found this big hen of the woods this morning. View attachment 40181
@D_licious I disagree with Hen of the Woods. Looks like Chicken of the Woods ( Laetiporus cincinnatus sp.). As they age they naturally fade to this color. Also exposure to sunlight seem to bleach the cap surface. I don't believe it is.. but may also compare it to Berkley's polypore ( Bondarzewia berkeleyi sp.) which is getting started but too early for Hens yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
@D_licious I disagree with Hen of the Woods. Looks like Chicken of the Woods ( Laetiporus cincinnatus sp.). As they age they naturally fade to this color. Also exposure to sunlight seem to bleach the cap surface. I don't believe it is.. but may also compare it to Berkley's polypore ( Bondarzewia berkeleyi sp.) which is getting started but too early for Hens yet.
I should know better than to identify a mushroom I'm not familiar with. Thank you for posting the correction. I love learning and appreciate all your expertise! Thanks again.

·
Registered
862 Posts
That is definitely lataporus sulfurous hen of the woods wont grow until fall way to early for you guys to see them i will be pickin them here in Minnesota long before you guys lol
True! Unlike some other mushroomers who advance through artificial means, I seek redemption through reality! if it does not really happen, I will NOT report it!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I should know better than to identify a mushroom I'm not familiar with. Thank you for posting the correction. I love learning and appreciate all your expertise! Thanks again.
@D_licious we had 26 tornadoes touch down Wednesday, according to the NWS. Making it the third most tornado touch downs on a single day, here in Iowa. They were mostly in rural areas, with exception to the biggie, an EF3. It tore along an edge of town, doing some structural damage, but no injuries, Thankfully!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I found this big hen of the woods this morning. View attachment 40181
The one you mentioned on Friday, was it close to Hannibal, MO again? I know about the one that hit there few wks ago, end of June!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts