1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

summer mushrooms

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by sol, Jun 21, 2015.

1. sol

sol Morel Enthusiast

Found my first trumpets of the year on friday 6/19. Picked about a half pound all the rest were too small. Also found some cinnabars but they were very tiny just staring to flush.

2. stcroix rob

stcroix rob Morel Connoisseur

Cinnabar's & Chant's, are starting over here pretty tiny little buds right now. Did scoop up a few O'le men tonite. Odd no chickens yet??

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017

3. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Kids, fiancee and I found 5 pounds of Chanterelles up in Northeast wisconsin today.

4. stcroix rob

Maybe the heavy rains predicted for tonite will start our "Chan's" growing as they have been this size for about a weec now, they are sorta on hold........ "Chelios" that's a good haul,what size?

[​IMG]

5. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Hey old elm, about a third 1 inches, 1 third 2 inches, and a third 3 inches. None were the yellow stemmed cibarius like in your pic, all were white stemmed phasmatis species. Very firm and tasty, though. It's weird though, I got some nice spots down south in Wisconsin that don't have anything yet. Is there anyway to post pics without photobucket at all?

6. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Old elm, I would love to have left them to grow like you are, but being a public spot, and with the veracity of the fungus gnats, there would have been nothing to come back to. We did, however, leave a couple hundred 1 inch or smaller ones behind. Not a clearcut by any means.

7. stcroix rob

After the rain.......a pot of Gold.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. chelios

chelios Morel Enthusiast

Another 5 lb haul of cantharellus phasmatis today. Still a lot of baby shrooms to grow on there yet. Good luck!

9. stingers45

stingers45 Morel Enthusiast

I've been finding a large assortment of mushrooms this summer:
    Chicken of the Woods, from already way past harvesting to just starting.
    Old Man of the Woods.
    King Boletes.
    Wood Ears.
    Chanterelles.
    Cinnabar Chanterelles.
    Porcini.
    It's been a wonderful year for Mushrooms so far!

10. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Enthusiast

Ive been all about morels.....but chantrelle curious...what do i look for in ne wi?

11. stcroix rob

"freeflow581" I cruise mostly mix white oaks/cherry trees,mature hard woods. ridges and fairly open undergrowth. follow deer trails. They are on in all sizes right now. here's a shot of tonight's haul.

[​IMG]

12. freeflow581

Like i need another addiction...lol..will take a stroll tomorrow. Thanks

13. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

OldElm, nice haul, and I really love your knife. If you don't mind , where did you get it & how much. All I've seen are the non folding kind with the brush. That one looks like the whip !

14. stcroix rob

THX'z Jack, my daughter gave knife to me,& said she found it on amazon.

" freeflow581" Hope yr now addicted to Chant's & had some luck!! We'll be up around Cornicopia/Herbster,west of Bayfield foraging for the week of 8/16 - 8/22. this is always a good week up that way, so if your up flying around drop on in.

15. stcroix rob

" Blonde Chicken!"

[​IMG]

16. freeflow581

Oldelm we will be touring around the U.P. on motorcycles with morel crazy friends from AZ. They grew up in lower MI and put me on the morel hunt path. Might be in that area....

No chants yet...ran outta time