1. Hello! We recently made a change in the software, as a result you might need to change your password. Lost Password Recovery
    Dismiss Notice

Featured Summer season CT 2017

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by fungus_muncher, Jul 7, 2017.

1. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

I've been finding chanterelles and trumpets for about a week now in NWCT. I'll hit the forest good tomorrow and hopefully bring home a nice sackful. Any other CT shroomers out there?

2. fungus_muncher

Went out for a bit to scout some new areas. Found trumpets and some cantharellus cibarius. It's so exciting finding trumpets in a new spot. Brought home enough for a meal or two but the season is just kicking off. I didn't collect the amanita, just learning the characteristics.

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.

3. fungus_muncher

Damn it's looking like I'm the only one here. It's ok, the woods out here are loaded. I need to remind myself to take more pictures. Once the picking starts it's hard to look at a phone screen. Tons of cantharellus minor and craterellus ignicolor but I don't even bother picking them.

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.
  4. vern

vern Morel Connoisseur

i would love to see a few pics of the tons of chants you're finding muncher...:)

5. fungus_muncher

I'll grab some tomorrow, they are just so tiny it would take a few dozen to make a meal. I pick every cantharellus cibarius and cantharellus cinnabarinus I see, those are meaty enough to justify cleaning and bringing home, to me at least.

6. fungus_muncher

Here is a load of cantharellus cinnabarinus I harvested after work today. Was only able to hit one spot due to some rain rolling in.

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.
  7. jack

jack Administrator Staff Member

Here's what I've been doing with my Chanterelles, along with the crawdads I'm trapping. Crawdads & Chanterelle Pie. IMGP1212.JPG Screen Shot 2017-07-11 at 8.00.37 AM.png

Barnacle likes this.
  8. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Love the pics fungus muncher!
    Pie looks awesome jack!

1 person likes this.
  9. fungus_muncher

Man I've gotta try that recipe or a variation of it. Here is some cantharellus lateritius I found today at work but unfortunately they were inedible. Their location was 100 feet away from a golf course where they spray all types of nasty pesticides.

Attached Files:

10. fungus_muncher

Man I love hunting black trumpets. They can be hard to spot but they are delicious. So far I've picked about 2lbs, hopefully we get some decent rainfall and it is a fruitful next few weeks. I thought the coloration on some of these was cool, reminds me of a calico cat.

Attached Files:

11. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Enthusiast

fungus, i can see that you're finding them around eastern white pine, however, what other tree species are around your finds?

12. HTH

HTH Young Morel

I am quite new to foraging outside of morels, chicken and hens. I am curious to what these might be? Any help would be great. I found a spot today that has at least 15 different types of mushrooms growing in about a 3 acre clump of woods. 20170719_183834.jpg

13. fungus_muncher

Honestly I usually don't find then around pine. There was just a pair trailside in a large stand of beech trees that dropped those needles. If you check out the background it's mostly beech. I have Good luck around oaks as well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  14. fungus_muncher

Went out to check some golden chant spots this morning and barely anything was fruiting. Past years they have put off massive amounts but this year only a few and far between. Moisture seems right, trumpets are fruiting by the masses only a stones throw away. Hopefully I can pin down some new spots to get my fill. Found some amanita jacksonii but they were a bit past. I might give them a shot this year if I find a prime specimen. Also some clavaria zollingeri which looked really cool.

Attached Files: