Featured Summer season CT 2017

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by fungus_muncher, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Ramblinrosie

Ramblinrosie Morel Enthusiast

2. Ramblinrosie

I live in the nw corner of CT, & I was picking trumpets by the pound in July. For me, water + mature live oak was key.

3. Ramblinrosie

Are trumpets surging again, or have you been finding them in large numbers since July? For past couple weeks, I've been finding only a handful each time I go out... and the golden chanterelles are still booming, but oh so buggy. Started seeing honey clusters yesterday and found my first Maitake of the season.

Barnacle likes this.
  4. Ramblinrosie

IMG_2167.JPG

Attached Files:

Barnacle likes this.
  5. Ramblinrosie

I've also been finding giant puffballs and fistulina hepatica.

Barnacle likes this.
  6. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

I wouldn't say they are surging again but certainly still going decent, picked about a quarter pound today but it took a while. All of my golden chants have been pretty buggy this year, some people flush them out with saltwater but I'm more concerned with what the bugs leave behind. I hope that isn't me hacking at your chickens, I pulled about 30 pounds in mid September last year. Nice to know there are others out here. I've only came across a few pickers in the last 6 years or so.

Barnacle likes this.
  7. Ramblinrosie

IMG_2170.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG

Barnacle likes this.
  8. Ramblinrosie

Mushrooms belong to themselves & their fruit to the picker. What do you do with 30 lbs of chicken? I haven't yet found a delicious l. sulphureus - if I take 'em, I sell them. But l. cincinnattus makes my top 5 list. . .

9. fungus_muncher

I cook up as much as possible and give a lot to friends who are vegan/vegetarian. The rest gets vac sealed and frozen fresh. Cinncinattus is delicious as well, always nice and tender. Huge puffball, I love making puffball parm.

Barnacle likes this.
  10. Ramblinrosie

I so wish that there was a mushroom preserving and cooking class I could take. Some mushrooms are pretty hard to do wrong (but I could probably still do them better...)While my hunting & id skills still have plenty of room for growth, they've far outstripped my mushroom-cooking skills. Shaggy caps, puffballs, oysters, blewits, l. Sulphureus... it's hard to know if they're just ~meh~ or if it's me

11. Ramblinrosie

IMG_2176.JPG IMG_2174.JPG IMG_2175.JPG Looks like Maitake season has started

Barnacle and (deleted member) like this.
  12. fungus_muncher

Nice looking hens right there. I haven't been out in about a week now but this is the motivation I needed. These guys from nwct?

Barnacle likes this.
  13. Ramblinrosie

Yep- found them yesterday in Salisbury, CT.

14. fungus_muncher

Found a few hens today but left the smaller ones to mature. Few chickens as well but they were growing on hemlock so I'm not going near those. Harvested this one now I just have decide on a preparation. Resized_20170831_143008.jpeg

15. fungus_muncher

Found a decent hen today about 5 lbs, a little mature but definitely suitable for a batch of jerky. When I start seeing them on the older side I get the fever, gotta find them before they turn haha. Most of my trees aren't starting up yet. Also found a few nice hedgehogs and a handful of trumpets. IMG_4918.JPG Resized_20170904_131630.jpg

16. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

Jerky you say???? Please enlighten me. Do you some how turn the mushrooms into jerky???

17. fungus_muncher

18. Barnacle

Barnacle Morel Connoisseur

19. misskay

misskay Morel Connoisseur

20. fungus_muncher

This fall season should be in full swing really soon. Found a wee little hen that will be ready in a few days and a few others that are just popping through. 20170907_132040.jpg 20170907_101457.jpg Resized_20170904_092504.jpg