Summer Shroomin'

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Zabz, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

Found my first baby chanterelles in NE Ohio yesterday evening. Anyone else finding anything?

Attached Files:

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Well, I posted here, but don't know where the thread went! Found my first ever Chants a couple days ago, but they were shot! Had a little rain yesterday. Hopefully will lead to more flushes. Only 9 or 10 in this bunch, and none usable. Would have made a nice small skillet.

DSCN0403.JPG

DSCN0404.JPG

3. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

Yeah looks like you missed em's by a week or so, I'm guessing it's going to be another crazy year for them.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  4. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Central Ohio - Franklin County
    I went out on Thursday July 11th and found Chanterelles.
    DSC00445.JPG

I picked enough for a good dinner (Chanterelle, Corn, Yellow Wax Bean Chowder).
    They were starting to dry out on the stem.
    DSC00459.JPG

The chants were more difficult to find as they appeared to have stalled at this stage of growth, for now, due to lack of moisture.

Those I found were well into the mature oak & hickory woods, at least 100 yards from the edge. They were under bushes and further, under 1 ft high forest floor growth. So, I had to be right on top of them before I could see them. I selectively clipped the leaves from the center of the first picture above to enable a good pic showing the Chanterelles clustered together.

Last year this same area was covered with fist-sized Chanterelles you could see from 40 yards away. Perhaps that may still happen if the "Rain Gods" cooperate. Ha!!

Happy hunting to all . . .

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    Kokomorel and Zabz like this.
  5. shroomsearcher

According to a local weatherman, there's a hurricane headed our way. So, we may have a whole bunch of rain shortly!

6. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Enthusiast

This year I've only found 10 pounds of chants but they should still fruit into August. Last year into August I found 42 pounds. I am curious as to what happened to the dinner plate page and some of the other pages that were on here in the Ohio forum. Was morels.com hacked?

7. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

797FEE95-2CFE-4822-A382-89384F759195.jpeg 2E2FB987-D3AD-45C8-B848-1B2E6588EEAF.jpeg 6A3C50F2-FD81-4358-A590-46B9E2A7DAF5.jpeg 1095A54E-AFBA-416B-8544-94A7CA2AB31E.jpeg 5AE409B1-307A-4232-802B-84D9C5714D6D.jpeg Still dry here in Indiana but found a small batch

MorelMe330, Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  8. shroomsearcher

Well, there was all that Chinese spam for a while. The mods were able to restore some lost threads, but maybe they disappeared again?

Yep, the dinner plate page was back for a little bit, and it's now gone again!

9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

At leas 10 threads -- the most active ones went AWOL July 5-6 or so; that's probably 90% of 2019 postings.

Kokomorel -- great shots of the food. Thanks for sharing.

Kokomorel likes this.
  10. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

11. Kokomorel

No I do HVAC

12. Kokomorel

Yo
    you must have noticed the knife

13. Zabz

Zabz Morel Enthusiast

Word, just saw the knife and figured I'd ask, makes sense why you would have one though.

14. MorelMe330

MorelMe330 Morel Enthusiast

Chants up here in Wayne County.

1 person likes this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Central OH - Franklin County
    Today, Thursday I popped into 3 different spots. I found some Chanterelles at each spot, but only 10% of what I found last year.

The ones I found were of varied quality, small, dried-out and often past their prime for even a small stage of growth. The good ones were usually partially covered with leaves.

Tomorrow I'm returning (early am due to the heat) to the woods where I found quite a few last Thursday a week ago. There, there were lots of areas there that had 3 layers of overhead protection against getting dried out: the main forest canopy, a 5-6 ft high bush undergrowth, and lastly, forest floor 12 inch high green growth of various types.

To see them you had to be right on top of them. These are all spots I knew to go to because I'd found Chanterelles there for many years running.

So as one adds successive years of Chanterelle experience your proficiency increases. Right now I'm looking at several woods I've never been into that today reminded me of how many years I eyed my current "Best Chanterelle Woods" before I got around to exploring them.

Happy hunting to all!!

DSC00485.JPG

16. shroomsearcher

Yes, we had a good soaking rain Tuesday night thru most of Wednesday, so there's fresh moisture in the ground. Traipsing around in the heat will be another story. These will be short forays accompanied by a bottle of water and a can of bug spray. The gnats and skeeters got after me pretty good last time out!