Featured Summertime Edibles - 2017

Discussion in 'Minnesota' started by tundraking, Jun 21, 2017.

1. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

jg, oysters can feel pretty wet, they are definitely have a unique texture, they're not spungie, kinda more like a big wet noodle, especially if its been raining, but they fry up nice. Bugs love them, but I just cut out the really bad wormie sections and wash them with the spray nozzle. Tip: cook/fry them first, then add in salt, spices towards the end. They absorb flavors really fast.

bucky,
    Caption Caveman! I forgot all about him. He's a stud!

2. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Found these yesterday wasnt sure what to do with them so i am dehydrating them and waiting for a spor print pretty sure they are chantrelles though

Attached Files:

3. tickcollector

tickcollector Morel Enthusiast

jg, Chants don't do so well dehydrating and re-hydrating. Better off sweating/sauteing them with some butter and then freezing for later. Just my 2 cents.

4. Beatnik88

Beatnik88 Morel Connoisseur

Agree with tick, chants do not rehydrate well at all. Those are definitely golden chants by the way.

5. jg010682

To late im already dehydrating them but the next ones i find i will just fry and vacume seal thanks for the input though hopefully tomorrow morning i can find more

6. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

I use dry cibarius as a season in some dishes. Powdered and sprinkled in with Alfredo they are great. Other than that I haven't found much use for them. They might work well in soup.

7. jg010682

Me and my son found some tonight so we fried them up and they are verry good thanks for helping me out with them i will have to get some of them oysters and try them

Attached Files:

8. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

Try using fresh or dried Chanterelles or Trumpets soaked for a few days to a week in Vodka. I've been doing it for a few years now. Also, because of the sugars, try soaking Candy Caps in Whiskey. I use McMasters Canadian Whiskey. IMGP0002.JPG

Barnacle and fungus_muncher like this.
  9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I tried Black Trumpets/Black Chanterelles in Bourbon and found it enjoyable.

My (3 year) experience with Chanterelle infused Vodka is that, so far, I like the taste better when I use dried Chanterelles to infuse Vodka and so far, I like the small yellow chanterelles better for Vodka than the larger Chanterelles.

10. jg010682

Do you cook with the mushrooms after soaking them or what do you do with them?

11. jack

jack Morel Connoisseur

I don't use them, I just throw them away. Maybe SB has a recipe for them.

12. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Never tried cooking them after a vodka soak. Just put them into the compost.

They appear & feel leathery and look unappealing afterward. This is in regard to using the dried Chanterelles for the infusion.

13. fungus_muncher

fungus_muncher Morel Enthusiast

Damn that sounds pretty interesting. I've heard of people using black trumpets in white wine but never thought about these other combinations. I'll have to give a few of them a shot and see how we like them.

14. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Having pickeled chanterelles before, I sometimes have enjoyed putting a small pickled Chant into a Chanterelle infused Vodka drink.

I mostly just add water to dilute the chanterelle flavor intensity to taste when drinking Chanterelle infused Vodka, so the addition of a pickled Chant gives added flavor complexity to the drink and a nice tasty treasure to chomp at the end of the drink! (Well . . . if I can wait that long)

fungus_muncher likes this.
  15. jg010682

Found these yesterday

Attached Files:

16. tundraking

tundraking Morel Connoisseur

Nice find jg! I went out a couple days ago and found a fee more too. Also found my first jack-o-lantern mushrooms, cool to see.

Attached Files:

17. jg010682

I have been seing alot of coral mushrooms also from what i have read some are esible and some not. Some are on the ground and some are on logs anyone know how to tell the difference between the edible and inedible ones because they all look pretty similar to me

18. tickcollector

Tundra, those kind of look like honey mushrooms... Obviously don't eat yet, but I'd look a little more into those. It's little early for honeys in my opinion, but they just don't have the look of all the jacks I've found over the years. Give them some time, jacks can get quit large and are really bright orange. Or wait until dark and see if they glow under black/uv light. You can download a blacklight app to your phone if you have a smartphone.

19. tickcollector

Jg, only pick the freshest corals or tooth fungus. Don't bother with old soggy ones or if they have a lot of dirt or wood debris, they are a pain to clean. Almost all will be from decaying logs or standing dead timber. One of my favorites is bear's head tooth and/or comb tooth (hericium...). So much like a morel it's amazing! I'd focus on crown tip corals to start off. Pretty easy to ID and very tasty in butter, cream and cheese sauces. Get an ID book, good luck.

20. jg010682

Got an id book they just all look the same to me